Notifications
Clear all

need help re: buying a new guitar

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vgnewsom)
Topic starter  

okay, I'm not really a beginner as I played for a very long time and quit due to severe tendinitis. I spent pretty much the past ten years not playing at all and also gave away/sold all of my guitars. A few months ago I decided to start playing again, but I wasn't sure enough that my shoulder/wrist could handle it, so I bought a $99 guitar thinking I would use that for a while and see if this is something I can really keep doing. Surprisingly, this cheapo guitar isn't half bad. It's a Rogue Grand Concert from Musician's Friend. I had a good set-up done on it and put on some elixirs on it and it plays pretty nicely although I do have some problems with barre chords on it and the sound unplugged is nothing to write home about. Okay, so here's my question: I'm able to at this point buy something new and better but am pretty much limited to about $500. Everything I am finding in that price range in a Grand Concert size body (I need to stick with a smaller body as it seems to really reduce the tendinitis problems for me.) I've been looking at an Ibanez AEG20 at $399 at GC. It feels really comfortable, and definitely sounds better than the $99 guitar and has slightly better playability but certainly not at the level of higher end guitars. I've also been looking at Breedloves and one of the lower end Taylors (the 314CE.) I need some advice here. I know that no one can make the decision for me, but if it were you, would you go ahead and buy the slightly more playable and better sounding Ibanez even though it has a laminated top, or would you stick with the cheapo for probably another year and save up for the Breedlove or Taylor? Also, does anyone know anything about this Ibanez AEG20? It seems like it a pretty decent guitar, but I can't help thinking that if I am going to spend $399 on it, I should maybe go an extra $100 or whatever to get to a really basic solid top. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a nice Solid top for under $500? Also, does anyone have any other advice they can give?

(@saber)
Reputable Member

Kind of unrelated, kind of not. I was diagnosed with tendonitis a few weeks ago, and it's calmed down a bit since then, but each time it develops it appears worse then the time before. Have you found anything particularly usefull to keep it down?

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@vgnewsom)
Topic starter  

Saber, The things that really helped me alot were anti-inflammatories, pain-killers, physical therapy, and pretty much giving up anything that ever caused pain. Aleve, and Mineral Ice have helped me to some extent, but prescription pain-relievers helped more - the one that really worked for me is called Ultram. Physical therapy has also helped alot. I cannot recommend it highly enough. They exercise the tendons in ways that strengthen them and also show you new ways to move that put less stress on the tendons. They also use some pain relieving techniques - one thing they do to me is that they use a little battery with electrodes that force cortisone into the joint. That lasts about half an hour, and while it tingles quite a bit, it certainly does not cause the pain that cortisone shots do. Anyway, I think physical therapy is really beneficial, and generally it is covered by insurance. The physical therapy has really helped me with the general pain, but still, when I tried to start playing guitar again, the pain started again. I then tried several different size guitars and found that many the concert size guitars cause me no pain at all while dreadnaughts just about kill me. It's really limited me as far as buying a new instrument, but it's definitely worth it for me to move to a smaller size just to be able to play. If you have problems while playing, I really recommend trying out different guitar sizes. It's probably better to do that sooner than later - you might be able to keep it from getting worse.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

what I do when playing, is to play for only a few minutes (5-15) at a time then stop and take a break for a little while.

I play a smaller sized guitar now and I highly recommend it. You're better off spending a little more and gettig the right guitar for you. Seagull is a good brand in the under $500 range but I don't think that have smaller body sizes. I have a Martin 000 size but that was rather expensive. Keep looking around for an 000 or 00 size guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@vgnewsom)
Topic starter  

thanks Pearl. Yeah, that's been my problem with the Seagulls - they are too big. They are really the nicest thing in my range though. I really wish they would make something in about a 00 size. I really love the 00 Martins an also the Concert sized Taylors. The closest I have found to either of those are the Breedloves in the AC size. Anything that I find that is below $500 and the right size has a laminated top. There are a few dreadnaughts under $500 that have solid tops...it's just too bad no one makes a smaller body in that price range that has a solid top.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i do know of one guitar that may tide you over until you can figure out what to do. it's a half size guitar, really cheap but with a solid top. i was amazed, actually, at how much i liked it. i was looking into a small guitar that i can carry around with me during the day. it's made in romania and the brand is called amigo. the same guitar comes in nylon strings and in steel strings. it's only $100. i've seen it online. google up amigo guitar and you may find it.

the only other possibilities are a little martin $250 and a baby taylor $260.

ReplyQuote
(@japike)
Eminent Member

If you're not in a big hurry, maybe you could find a good deal on a better used guitar.

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@vgnewsom)
Topic starter  

thanks everyone for the advice. I think I've found the ideal guitar for me - the Taylor Big Baby. At first I didn't want to even try it as I assumed that the shape would cause the same issues with my tendinitis as all dreadnaughts. 11/16 size just didn't seem to me like it would be enough of a difference to be playable for me. Man was I wrong. It was very comfortable for me to play. While it doesn't have the volume of a full size dreadnought, it definitely had better volume and tone than the laminated top concert sized guitars I have been looking at. And I absolutely love the neck. It has the same feel to me as the more expensive Taylors. I haven't bought it yet, will will probably get it by the weekend. It is really not an attractive guitar - very plain looking with two visible drywall screws connecting the neck to the body - but that doesn't bother me. It actually makes it look kind of rugged. And, I have always been one to go for the underdog - sort of like Charlie Brown's christmas tree. Does anyoe have an opinion on this guitar? Do you think it's a better choice than a laminated top Ibanez?

ReplyQuote
(@japike)
Eminent Member

How exciting to find the right guitar! I read a post on another forum that gave the Taylor Big Baby a very good review. For the money it sounds like a great guitar.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I bought my first new guitar in many years recently and spent a good deal of time doing research on the subject of solid wood vs. laminate. It seems most believe solid is always better than laminate for a guitar top.

Be sure to let us know if you get that new guitar!

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

yes. i think it's a better choice than a laminated ibanez!

ReplyQuote
(@vgnewsom)
Topic starter  

Thanks japike and pearl. I am definitely going to get it. I have been looking up reviews all night and it seems that most people think that it is a great guitar for the money, and also many people have commented on the neck feeling just like the neck on the higher end Taylors. I knew I liked it as soon as I picked it up; it's good to know that other people like it too. I haven't bought a new guitar in at least 15 years. It's amazing how much better they've gotten relative to price. Anyway, thanks again, and I will definitely post again once I've bought it - it should be by thursday or friday, maybe sooner if I can find the time.

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

vgnewsom:
Good for you. I recently ordered a Taylor catalog online, and I think all their models are impressive. That Taylor you selected sounds good to me. Have fun.

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote