Skip to content
need help trying to...

Notifications
Clear all

need help trying to change keys of a song for singing?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@derfnart)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I don't know much theory with guitar, but I've been trying to learn about changing guitar keys. I've realized that you can use this to help with singing alone to the guitar.

I've been working with playing one particular song, Collide by Howie Day on the guitar, I've been playing it as follows:

Standard tuning
CAPO 4th fret (all tabs relative to CAPO)

G F# Bm C
e-x--x--x--x---
B-3--3--3--3---
G-0--0--0--0---
D-0--0--0--2---
A-2--0--2--3---
E-3--2---------

Sounds great, but when I try to sing alone, I'm having some trouble making it sound alright. Part of the problem might be that I'm fairly certain that my voice is higher... I was thinking then, correct me if I'm wrong, would it perhaps be more sensible for me to try and move this song up to another key that would better match my voice?

I've been looking at this capo transposition chart:
http://www.cyberfret.com/misc-wisdom/capo/page5.php

but I'm not really sure how to do what I want to do here. Can someone please help me out?

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What you'd want to do is:

-Find out what the first note is the original singer starts with
-Find out what note you'd prefer to start with
-Move the chords up with the same interval

So if it was a song in B, the original vocals would start on (for example) a D and you would like to sing it in F you must move the stuff up with another three semitones, so you'd be playing it in D. If you sing it a LOT higher you might want to play the guitar a bit lower instead of a lot higher.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I think you may be confusing key with pitch. :? I would start with the capo on the first fret and move up the neck until I found a key that fits my voice. You might want to look into the Nashville numbering system. You can use it to change the key without using a capo. It's as easy as counting to 7. Or make youself a key/chord conversion wheel, link supplied. :)

http://www.guitartips.addr.com/conversionwheel.html

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I think you may be confusing key with pitch. :? I would start with the capo on the first fret and move up the neck until I found a key that fits my voice. You might want to look into the Nashville numbering system. You can use it to change the key without using a capo. It's as easy as counting to 7. Or make youself a key/chord conversion wheel, link supplied. :)

http://www.guitartips.addr.com/conversionwheel.html
There is also a copy of the wheel and a box chart on my web site if you prefer a chart.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

derfnart

I'm a little confused by your chords.

G F# Bm C
e--x---x---x---x---
B--3---3---3---3---
G--0---0---0---0---
D--0---0---0---2---
A--2---0---2---3---
E--3---2-----------

The first chord is a G chord. Behind a capo at the 4th fret this would be a B major chord.

I am not sure what the second chord is, maybe Dsus4?? Behind the capo a F#sus4. This is a very odd chord I have never seen before.

The third chord is an Em7/B. Behind the capo a G#m7/D#

The fourth chord is a Cadd9. Behind the capo a Eadd9

Regardless of what these chords are, to transpose you have to write out the scale for the key. This is G, so you have;

G...A...B...C...D...E...F#...G

So the first chord is the Root chord or 1, if the second chord is a type of D chord this is your 5th, the Em7/B is your 6th, and the C chord your 4th.

So, to transpose you simply apply this to any other scale. If you wanted to play this in E, you have the scale;

E...F#...G#...A...B...C#...D#...E

So, your progression transposed to the key of E would be;

E, B7sus4, C#7/G#, and Asus4

But after all that, I don't think this will work for you because of the odd 2nd chord in your progression. As others suggested, I would simply move the capo up and down the neck until you find a position that fits your vocal range.

But really, the best way to do it is just the opposite. Sing the song without the guitar. Just sing in your natural voice and find where you sing the song well with dynamics. Then find this key on your guitar.

Hope I haven't confused you.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote