Skip to content
Need help with 2nd ...

Notifications
Clear all

Need help with 2nd guitar choice (electric)

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@stork85)
Topic starter  

Hey all. I currently own a Seagull S6 acoustic and been playing for a few months now trying to get down some basics. I chose to learn on acoustic first as I heard it will help strengthen my fingers up and train me to produce clearer notes (no distortion to hide behind), but now i want to move on to the electric as well. I listen to Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Radiohead, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, basically alot of 90's grunge rock but also Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. My question for you more experienced guys is what guitar in the price range of under around lets say 800$ would be a good choice for getting close to this sound of music. I would like to go play a few but the problem is i dont know to much and couldnt really "play" them to determine if i like them or not. A friend has a Fender American Strat and I like the feel of that one so ive been looking at them alot lately. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks.

(@guitar_man_910)
Eminent Member

I can think of a lot in that price range. The only thing about a Strat is that they have no humbucker pickup. Well, the ones that I have seen anyway. Some Les Paul Epiphones are nice. Ibanez has a model the RG321DX ( I think). I have heard a lot of good stuff about it. It sells for around $380. I had to go for the GRG170DX. A step below because the store did not have that one. $800 will provide many choices.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I can think of a lot in that price range. The only thing about a Strat is that they have no humbucker pickup. Well, the ones that I have seen anyway. Some Les Paul Epiphones are nice. Ibanez has a model the RG321DX ( I think). I have heard a lot of good stuff about it. It sells for around $380. I had to go for the GRG170DX. A step below because the store did not have that one. $800 will provide many choices.

A fat strat has a humbucker. Take a look at the Washburn Idol series too.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@reasonableman)
Trusted Member

I would like to go play a few but the problem is i dont know to much and couldnt really "play" them to determine if i like them or not. A friend has a Fender American Strat and I like the feel of that one so ive been looking at them alot lately. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks. I think that's probably a misconception. Just because all the other people that buy guitars feel the need to 'shred' them. Doesn't mean you need to. All you need to do is play something you want to play on the guitar your buying. The reason you need to play your future guitar is they are all different. There's a million different ways to set up the fretboard alone and you need to choose the best one for you. A guitar is an expensive investment. There's no point getting an 'OK' one when there is one better for you for the same price.

Even if you think you can't hear difference you still know about the feel by trying it out.

Just because Steve Vai's next to you in the shop you shouldn't feel bad playing power chords if what you want the guitar for is playing power chords...

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

If nothing else you'll want to know how the neck feels in your hand as well as the action and do chromatic scales all the way down the neck to check for BUZZ!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Wow Stork, we're in the exact same boat here. From the music to the amount we have to spend. I'm also a bit intimidated about going into a guitar shop and playing differnent guitars. Luckily one of the guitar shops where I live have little rooms where you can try out various guitars. Would anyone mind writing up a checklist of what to look for when buying an electric? Stork, does the $800 include the price of the amp and everything else?

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Try this link to the Gibson site

How to Buy an Electric Guitar.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dilettante84)
Eminent Member

How about one of these?

ReplyQuote
(@dilettante84)
Eminent Member

Hmm. I read that with a look of amusement on my face. Oh, it's all reasonably good advice, to be sure, but the thinly veiled ad for Gibson's own guitars lessens it's impact....

It's kind of like that Philip Morris "anti-smoking" website, that uses such clever language that even though the clear message is "don't smoke, UNLESS you REALLY WANT TO", you'd never be able to prove it....

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hmm. I read that with a look of amusement on my face. Oh, it's all reasonably good advice, to be sure, but the thinly veiled ad for Gibson's own guitars lessens it's impact....

It's kind of like that Philip Morris "anti-smoking" website, that uses such clever language that even though the clear message is "don't smoke, UNLESS you REALLY WANT TO", you'd never be able to prove it....

Absolutely, but it does give you an idea of how to begin thinking through the issue. Now, myself, I wouldn't mind having a Gibson.... :D

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@stork85)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the help so far guys. And Jason, I think 800 is what I want to spend, including the amp. I can go over a bit if i find a guitar I really like that pushes me over that budget. Keep me updated if you go to that guitar shop and play some or make a decision. Since we're in the same boat here maybe we can help each other out.

ReplyQuote