Notifications
Clear all

Need help with Amp settings

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@cornelious)
Topic starter  

I have a huge problem, I am not a beginer but I am not use to using amps alot. I am now getting started in a band but I can never seem to get my amp to put out the sound I want. I am looking for a good, almost metal, distortion sound for my guitar. I am begining to think that my amps are too old and they sound like they are blown, but I cant tell if my problem is with the speaker itself or my amp settings. I am looking for sure thing settings to trouble shoot this problem. I am on the verge of buying a new amp and blowing alot of money on it, so it would be amazing if anyone could help. Thanks.

(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

What kind of guitar, amp, and settings do you use? After you list that someone should be able to help you, and welcome to guitarnoise. :)

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

djdubb is correct, it would be a big help to know what kind of amp you have. Also, what guitar and type of pickups are you using? What pedals or effects do you use (brand & model)??

And Welcome to GuitarNoise. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I am on the verge of buying a new amp and blowing alot of money on it
Alright...................... So what's the problem! :P

FTR, you are not "blowing money". You are housing a less fortunate member of society that needs help and guidance and frankly, if you don't do it, someone else will. :lol:

Welcome to GN! :D

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll say Hi and Welcome.

More information would make things easier for us to apply a correct answer. Like whether its solidstate or tube would be nice Anyway here goes. If your amp has both a gain, volume and maybe a master volume you dial in some distortion. Start by turning the gain control to around 8 and the volume to around 0 to 2 1/2. Set the tone stack (bass,mids,treble) to their middle postion. if it has a Master volume you can use that to adjust the loudness or volume (loud wise). Any way you look at it what you want to do is overdrive the preamp into the power stage or output. This will create distortion. How much you set these things to overdrive the preamp into the power stage with determine how it sounds. The more you drive the preamp into the power stage the more distortion it will create.

Then by using the tone stack(bass,mids,treble). You dial it in for flavor. If you using an all tube amp turn it up loud enough till you find whats called the sweet spot or staturation point. You'll know cause the amp will take a whole new life of its own and sound great. At that point is when the outout tubes create the power supply to sage trying to keep with the demans for power that the tubes need. And yes it will be loud volume wise unless you an attenuator on it. An Attenuator is a device used with all tube amps to allow a guitarist to turn the amp high enought to reach its saturation point.

This should at least put you close. You'l have to experiment to get your sound dialed in to the way you like it.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member

I have a Suier strat which I lvoe alot, and am thinking abotu pouting some humbuckers in it.
I also have a line6 112 spider 2 which is pretty neat, Its really good for versitality, make lots of different amp sounds on it.

ps. What sort of setting does SRV use on little wing?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Settings are not gonna help you *at all*. Amps respond very differently to each knob being turned, so you'd need a comparable amp to use any settings. SRV didn't play Line6 or anything resembling the spider.

That being said, assuming you don't play strictly lead: chose one of the higher gain models, leave the gain at 40% or so, drop the mids a bit and pump the volume. Add thick compression and a hint of reverb, there you are. For lead put the gain up, raise the mids, lower the compression a bit and add some echo or more reverb.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

AFAIK the Line 6 has lots of presets to emulate other Ampspedals etc, try the 'blues' setting for a SRV feel perhaps?
And I believe SRV used single coils on a strat, if you want to emulate it try buying some Fender Texas pickups, I believe they are similar to Stevies.

For settings try here
http://www.line6.com/spiderii/30.html

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

As a general rule if you have a ton of Mid Range on it it can get that :"blown" sound.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member

cool!

What exactly doe s a compressor do?

ReplyQuote