Neil Young - Pocahontas

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@poorpetebest)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello,

About 3 years ago I picked up a guitar for about $10 just to mess around with. I had never played before and I basically started learning by playing songs I liked from tabs online. Here I am 3 years later and I'm just now starting to learn exactly what a pick is for, strumming patterns, and all that hoobity joobity. Anyways I was wondering if anybody knew the strumming pattern for the Neil Young song Pocahontas? I think I've got a basic idea but I can't get the intro right. By the way, I must salute this site and everyone behind it. It seems to have the most complete information about playing I've found anywhere and I really wish I would have found it earlier :lol:

Thanks!

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

http://hyperrust.org/Music/?Tab

http://redsun.reacte.com/index.php?page=main

Try those for all the Neil Young you can handle. I'll have a listen today and see if I can work it out.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome To GN 8)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

The main pattern is

down/ down/ down up /down up/

each of the / sections take the same amount of time

The first down stroke is a partial, maybe strings 6, 5 and 4, the second down stroke is all of the strings.

ReplyQuote
(@poorpetebest)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Awesome! Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I definitely need to go look this one up. Great song from Neil Young ... might be high time I learnt how to actually play it. :)

Oh, and welcome to GN mate!

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Thanks for those links, Nick. :)

Just tried out the Unplugged version of Pocahontas tonight. Is the first time I've really tuned down the guitar. But sounded great.

I tried just feeling the song and ended up with a basic strumming pattern of D Du UdU UdU UdU (sorry, not sure if that's the correct way to write it :oops: ). Nonetheless, didn't sound too bad ... for a first attempt.

Anyway, 'tis a great song and am enjoying learning it. :D

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote