Clear all

New 12 String

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@davisaggie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing acoustic for a couple years now mostly for church and youth type activities. I like the sound of a 12 string and want to get one but am not sure which ones are good, and how much they can run. Currently I play an Ibanez Acoustic/Electric and really like the action on that. Are there any good 12 strings out there for under $600?

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Hey davisaggie, welcome to guitarnoise! Yes, there are certanly a few decent 12-stringers under $600. In terms of bang for your buck, I'd recommend a Godin guitar, Seagull to be exact, but any Godin product is high quality. Seagulls are made in Canada with top quality wood. Alot of people really like them. http://www.seagullguitars.com/intro.htm . They aren't very popular, so finding a dealer might be hard, but they have a dealer finder. Another guitar that suprised me was the Fender 12 strings. Either this one http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0951012021 or this one http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0951412021 . They aren't as good though, but theyare a whole lot cheaper. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

BTW I saw "aggie" in your screenname, does that mean you live in Texas, or even the Austin area???? :shock: Please say yes!! I need a jam partner! 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@davisaggie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Sorry yoyo, I don't live in texas. The name refers to my old college mascot, the UC Davis aggies.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Aww... shucks... :lol:
Yes, I live in Texas, but no, I'm not a redneck. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@davisaggie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The guitar store in town here has an ibanez 12 string for $210, is that a good guitar, or should I go with a more expensive model from a different maker?

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

A friend of mine picked up an Alvarez 12 string for under 600 -- it's a nice guitar. I believe he chose it over a Washburn. Both are good guitars.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I'm a fan of Takamine, and they have pretty good electronics as well.

But it's really up to you. Do you like the sound and the feel? 12-strings can be monsters, or they can be undersized, or "just right".

Any of those listed above are good choices.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

As Musenfreund said, Alvarez would be an excelent choice as well. In my opinion, they make some of the finest 12 strings that you can buy. I've personally owned 2 in my life, and loved them both. But for some reason, I've been having a hard time finding ANY alvarez guitars lately

ReplyQuote
(@davisaggie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. My wife and parents ended up suprising me with a new Segull M12 last night. It's a great guitar. I must have played for an hour or so before putting it down. Love the sound.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Congrats.. Thats a beautiful looking guitar.

Jim

PS Post 100 I think.. What do I WIN?!?!

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Congrats.. Thats a beautiful looking guitar.

Jim

PS Post 100 I think.. What do I WIN?!?!

Your 101st post is on the house! Congratulations! (And use that free post wisely... :wink: )

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Whoa cool, you got a 12-string version of my guitar! 8) I haven't played one of those, but if its half as good as my M6, you must be proud. :wink:

BTW congrats on your 100th post, just passed 800 myself... :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote