Clear all

New Addition

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@bokonon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, after eight months I have decided to upgrade from my $99 Best Buy special. I initially went the internet route. I tried a LP 100 and after two weeks the amplifier died and the guitar had fret buzz and set up issues out of the box. It also felt way small compared to my acoustic, and a bit too complicated for a beginner like myself.
So being my retro grouch self I sent it back and went to a local shop and picked up a Norman B16 Protege. I have to say it feels and sounds great. It really has exceeded my expectations. It also felt good to buy from a local vendor and purchase something out of my native country of Canada rather than something made a world away in Indonesia.

Just felt like I had to share the excitement.

(@fender-bender)
Trusted Member

I think many people start out with an inexpensive guitar because they are not sure that they can learn it or stick with it. Like exercise equipment, I think most guitars get used intensively for 6 months then collect dust for several years with the intention of returning to it. Finally they get recycled to a friend or family member who wants to try - and so the cycle starts again.

You on the other hand have broke out and are going to the next level, and a new guitar will sure give you inspiration to play and learn more.

Good for you!

I recently got a garage sale acoustic - and while it is a cheapie for sure - it was "different" from my electric. I now find myself playing the $15 guitar more than my brand-name $400 guitar. New or "different" equipment sure puts a new shine on playing guitar I think!

F/B in beautiful Wentzville, MO

more about me here: http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=40137

ReplyQuote
(@bokonon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have not really been using my Gym membership much since I started playing. The guitar just sucks me in and before I know it hours have gone by.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

congrats on the new addition!
now post some pics :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

I think many people start out with an inexpensive guitar because they are not sure that they can learn it or stick with it. Like exercise equipment, I think most guitars get used intensively for 6 months then collect dust for several years with the intention of returning to it. Finally they get recycled to a friend or family member who wants to try - and so the cycle starts again.
No.... Never.... Ah.... Yeah, look at my join date below my name. I just started playing the guitar 2 weeks ago and posted in the "Meet and Greet" section 2 weeks ago. Just ignore that join date of mine from 2005. I wasn't one of those folks who started out with an inexpensive guitar and used it intensively for 6 months then let it collect dust until 2008.... No, not me...

Boy, that's pretty good guessing for you, Fender Bender. I probably broke a string summer of 2005 (6 months) and finally restrung the guitar 2 weeks ago...

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

congrats!

My first guitar was a Lp100. The sound was ok and stuff, but the Les Paul thing is just too small for me. If i'm sitting it on my lap, i feel like i have to hunch over.

I ended up returning it before my 30 days was up and getting a highway one hss strat. MUCH better (imo).

ReplyQuote
(@bokonon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

If I ever go back to electrics I think I would go with a semi-hollow body. As much as I love hearing people play the electric guitar, I think I need to progress to enjoy one. Anyway here are a few pictures, I wish I could add audio, but this should do for now.

ReplyQuote