Clear all

New Band (first one at that)

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@protero)
Topic starter  

Ok so a bunch of friends and i decided to make a band
I'm on vocals and i fill in for anyone who's not currently there (I play drums at a moderate level, guitar and bass at a beginner, but im the only one in the group who can sing).
Have a guitarist who seems to know what hes doin all the time, but he doesn't want to keep practicing the same song so he goes and does another thing when his attention runs out.
The bassist just picked the instrument up in june.
And the drummer has only played drums a few times and is still learning.

I write most of the songs, but i cant seem to sync them up with the guitar lines that the guitarist comes up with, so i have to come up with lyrics on the spot. We're thinking of buying recording equip. to make it so i can record the instrumentals and come up with lyrics to go along with them.

I'm not sure if we've got this procedure down in the right order, but when things seem to go right it sounds pretty good

my question is where do we go from here?
ty for any criticism or instructions or input of any kind!

Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I write most of the songs, but i cant seem to sync them up with the guitar lines that the guitarist comes up with, so i have to come up with lyrics on the spot. We're thinking of buying recording equip. to make it so i can record the instrumentals and come up with lyrics to go along with them.

Welcome...

This advice will make it MUCH easier...especially for a six string that writes:

These three instruments are "the rhythm section" and the rhythm is inherent in your pick hand and not in your fret hand...especially if you wrote the stuff.

Stand so the drummer can see your pick hand easily. Have him co-ordinate his foot pedal with your pick hand (good drummer splay from the feet, up). The bassist should follow the drummer's foot pedal with attention paid to your chord changes.

Hope this helps! :wink: .

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So basically, what you've got is three beginners - guitar, bass and drums - and a decent guitarist. Yet the problem would seem to be with the decent guitarist!

At the moment, what you're doing is: the three beginners are playing catch-up with the experienced guitarist. You say he seems to know what he's doing all the time - if he did, he'd be the musical director, guiding the other three and helping them along.

If the guitarist can show the drummer and the bass player how to keep in time with him (see Cat's advice above - he's had a lot of experience playing in bands, so he DOES know what he's talking about!) then you're half way there. The golden rule for bass and drums at this stage is KEEP IT SIMPLE! Embellishment can come later - once you've got that steady back-beat, the guitarist's got a foundation he can build on, keeping his interest high.

As for recording - any of you got a laptop? Download Audacity from www.sourceforge.net - it's a free and easy-to-use recording programme, with overdubbing facilities. All you need is a cheap mic and you'll be able to record yourselves playing - maybe not studio quality, but good enough to listen to and play along with. OR - you could use a digital camera, if there's a movie clip option.

Personally, I find it harder to write lyrics to music than the other way around, so good luck with that!

Good luck anyway, to all of you!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote