Notifications
Clear all

New gear question

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@suprnova)
Topic starter  

Ok, so I am trying to do a "create my starter package" thing :)

I've been trolling around here for a while, but finally figured I would ask

I have about 300 to spend on guitar AND amp...

So it's like the following options (unless someone has any other input :))

Epi SG Special and Roland Micro Cube
or
Epi SG 310 and Behringer GM 108
or
Epi LP100 and Behringer GM108

Any ideas or input? I am really new, I've been playing on an old borrowed Aria ProII (I really want to give it back haha I've had it for MONTHS) I'd like to play rock, blues, probably not much "metal" (Dashboard Confessional, Rage Against the Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, classic rock stuff, Zep, AC/DC, etc)
Pretty wide range...still learning

(@kblake)
Reputable Member

I have a Roland Micro Cube and for the bedroom or the backyard its great..surprisingly loud when you turn it up...

I play a Mexican Strat throuh it though...

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@silvertone)

Even though I haven't played a Behringer might I suggest the Squire 51as an alternative. I bought one last week to use with my kid classes and was impressed with the solid quality of a "budget" guitar. I had been looking at the mini Strat because of little kids/little hands but was won over by the '51 after a sided by side comparison. It "feels" like a guitar. You cand check out the specifications on Fender's site. It has a relatively wide range of sounds with the single coil and the humbucker and the push/pull coil selector and 3 position rotary switch.

Although it was playing good when I got it home it will be much better after a thorougher setup. The fret ends are a little sharper but aren't dangerous. The action was low (must've been 8s on it) I put on 9s and it raised the action a bit but all that will get resolved once it's gone over.

The thing that's nice about the '51 is that you have the basis of a good solid guitar that can be upgraded as money allows. The pickups can be swapped out. Better tuners put on. Better (3 saddle) bridge. Better nut. I can see it being not only a good student guitar but a giggable one as well.

For an amp I'd check out the Vox Pathfinder 15R and the Lil' Orange Crush. I have and am very happy with both. The Orange is essentially a One-trick pony. It's just a little rock and roll blaster. For 10 watts it'll make things on the wall shake. But, for it's size it has a surprisingly full tone. I tried it next to the Crush 15 watt w/reverb and although it was louder and somewhat fuller the smaller Crush had the better/meaner personality.

The Vox Pathfinder is just a jewel. Great for home use and tiny gigs. Good clean and dirty sounds (with the boost.) Line out for recording (which the Crush doesn't have) and a headphone jack (which the Crush also has.) It's more versatile than the the Crush.

I think you'd be able to get the Squire '51 and either amp for just within your budget especially if you haunt ebay for used and new. One thing though and this applies more to the Squire, try several of them out before deciding. I'd have fewer qualms about buying the Pathfinder or Crush online after I've tried them out but as you know with guitars they'll vary so it's best to do in person.

Have fun looking and trying them out.

silvertone

p.s. It also sounds good with a Tele...

[/img]

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

For a small practice amp I'm gonna have to say Vox VR15, if you can find one. They were disconntinued, but ebay has one. This is a tube amp and tone is fantastic for its size.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOX-VR15-Valve-Reactor-Amplifier-no-res_W0QQitemZ250013912910QQihZ015QQcategoryZ38077QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also check this guitar out. This one is made in japan and is every bit as playable as the USA models.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-84-Fender-Squier-Strat-MIJ-Japan-ST-362-Squire_W0QQitemZ230014267559QQihZ013QQcategoryZ47070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a MIJ Strat Squier and the same amp. The amp sounds better then my Peavey Bandit and the guitar plays just as nice as my $2,500 USA Jackson Soloist. Look for a japanese guitar, the quality is wonderful for the price.

Here's another one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSA60-Electric-Guitar?sku=519536

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

To be accurate, the VR15 is a hybrid amp, that is, valve in the pre-amp with a solid state power amp.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I don't know anything about Epiphone guitars, other than I would like to have one haha. As for the amp. I would suggest that you spend $10 more and get the GM110 from Behringer. I am referring to Musician's Friend prices. I have that amp and its pretty good. It has quite a range of distortions too. The clean isn't the best in the world and the volume of the clean is much lower than that of the distortion. But it is 30watts and it has a 10" speaker. The gm108 is 15watts and has an 8" speaker. I haven't played the gm108 so I can't say how good it is.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Vintager-GM110-Combo-Amp?sku=480685

As for the Roland, I have heard nothing but good things about them.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@rowdy27)

Peavey Generation EXP guitars & their beginner amps are a great bargain.

http://www.peavey.com/products/

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

To be accurate, the VR15 is a hybrid amp, that is, valve in the pre-amp with a solid state power amp.

Yes sir, you are correct. Wonderful little amp for the price. GC was blowing them out for $59.99 when I got mine, glad I bought it.

ReplyQuote