Clear all

New Modeling Amp - Need Pointers

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I just brought home my latest toy. It's a Vox Valvetronix 15W amp. Lots of cool (I think) effects. I'm pretty much a novice guitar player, and so I'm having a little trouble getting the sounds I'd like to get out of the amp. For example, I think it'd be really cool if I could play a little old- school funk (think George Clinton or Earth, Wind, & Fire). I'm sure the amp is capable of doing it, but I'm not smart or talented enough to come up with something on my own.

I was wondering if someone could maybe post a riff or two, and possibly some general suggestions for amp settings, that might do the trick. (warning.....if you guys come through for me, I'm very likely to come back and ask you to help me set the thing up to get that Pink Floyd sound, or a Metallica thing or two....so answer at your own risk) :D

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Here, thisll set you for some settings. 8) http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/vt_audition.htm

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks yoyo. I had played with that audition thing before I bought the amp. I goofed around with the amp last night until my fingers couldn't take anymore (and my kids were begging me to please stop).

I think I'm going to like it a lot. I'm still fiddling with all the seetings to see what I can come up with.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Cool... have fun! :) BTW what do you play? I'm renting a Fender MIM strat right now because I'm 14 and the only job i can get is 5 bucks an hour for mowing lawns. Still, I do it anyway.. :roll:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm just playing a fairly cheap Ibanez solid-body. I think it's a GAX 70, or something like that. I bought it for my daughter a few years ago and, predictably, she lost interest. I also have another Ibanez acoustic/ electric, and a 25 year-old Alvarez acoustic.

I'm quite a bit older than you, Yoyo. I wish I'd have started when I was your age.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hi,

I've got the AD30VT myself, and it's a great amp indeed. However, since this amp is extemely responsive to different guitars/pups/attacks it is very hard to give an exact preset, and since I don't have a mic there is no way to properly record anything with it. The line-out won't suffice since that will bypass the Valvetronix ciruitry.

In general the left amps are cleanest and the right amps for distortion. Start by setting the amp similar to the correspondig preset and then adjust the way you see fit. Add effects after the basic sound is to your liking.

ReplyQuote
(@drpool)
Eminent Member

Snarf,

Congrats on the new amp. I have the same one and until just last week had the exact same problem finding the tones that I knew this box is capable of. Check out this site:

http://www.patchtronix.com/index.php

You'll find settings (patches) to help you find most of what you are looking for. Keep in mind some of the settings you'll find there are for the larger amps that have more control/effect functions than the 15. All in all it's been a huge help to me. Good luck & I'll look for you over there.

dp

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a bunch, drpool. That's just what I was looking for!

ReplyQuote
(@drpool)
Eminent Member

Glad to help, I was just as frustrated as you before someone helped me out. It helped me realize just what a cool little amp this is.

Have fun

dp

ReplyQuote