Clear all

New Player, Need HELP!!

25 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@dcdtoons)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

:?: Hi, i would just like to know if anyone here could help with finding a good beginner guitar, at a good price. Please help me cause i am looking on Amazon and they have all these guitars for like 100 bucks with an amp. Should i get it??

I really understood just how into weights I was when someone asked me what day it was and I said Leg Day.

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

What type of music/sound are you going for?

Side note - Some might disagree, but I would NEVER buy a guitar over the net. I HAVE to try it out first hand.

Test your luck if you want, but I say buy it AFTER you try it.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I'm with Tracker. Play before you buy is good for all instruments. With cheapo stuff you can end up with a real dog, and a junky amp too.

If all I could afford was a real cheap guitar I'd be tempted to see if I could find a better quality one second hand for a similar price. Maybe ask at places that do lessons and see if anyone has a reasonable student rig that they now want to sell.

I've never bought a cheapo starter pack, so some of them might be good value for money. But if you don't think you'd know the difference then it might be worth trying and get someone to go with you who can tell if stuff is bad or not.

Good luck. :)

ReplyQuote
(@dcdtoons)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, i want to play stuff in the pop rock to rock area. So i guess i am looking for a guitar that can play with ease. I do think you are right about buying stuff on the net. I really don't think its a good idea, but after tomorrow, when i look at my local music store, i think i will have a good idea of what i want. I really don't care about color as long as its not PINK!

I really understood just how into weights I was when someone asked me what day it was and I said Leg Day.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

A lot of people feel Squire's are the way to go for starter packs.

I'd recomend that, but I can't without knowing what kind of music you like, what your price range is, etc.

Don't get it off amazon.com!

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

hi DCDTOONS

it's good to have a budget like you have , if you can not play your self take some one who can with you and let them play it . if they believe the strings are too far away from the fret board like alot of cheaper brands then don't buy it .

Guitars are like cars in a lot of ways Rolls Royces are alot dearer and have more luxuary then say Mini , but a Mini is still a good car . :wink:

cheers

L.K :arrow:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

DCDTOONS, just be careful of getting cheap stuff. Sometime the cheaper stuff is harder to play, and that dog won't hunt when yer trying to learn something.

Get something a bit better than cheap as you'll probably end up using it as a alternate tuning machine. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Side note - Some might disagree, but I would NEVER buy a guitar over the net. I HAVE to try it out first hand.

I have had some luck with ordering on the net, but one thing I have done is bought from places where if there was something I didnt like, I could send it back. The Washburn I'd tried, then I bought off musicians friend (with their guarantee). The other I didnt know was coming until after it was already on its way, it was more because my girlfriend had heard me mention it and wanted to do something nice, but I got lucky there and it is a nice guitar.

Try some out, and if you find one you like see if there is a major price difference. We have one music store here, and they try to rob anyone who walks through their door. The closest GC is 3 hours away. I'm lucky I have a brother and some friends, and that I can at least walk into Highway Robbery Music to check stuff out before I decide to buy it elsewhere. The problem is the difference in quality from one guitar to another, even of the same kind.

I think all of that was to say that I agree to an extent, but as long as you're dealing with a place that you can send stuff back if you dont like it, it's not a huge problem to me.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

As a non player I just went into a guitar store and the first guitar I saw had a price tag of £2500, I was terrified. Luckily a friend of mine had recommended the store, told me to ask for Steve and tell him that "Darren had sent me". Steve was a top bloke, picked up the 3 £99 acoustics he had, played them all and picked the best of the 3 for me (I guess in hindsight he was picking the easiest to play as well as the best sounding). I couldn't tell the difference between the 3 at the time, they all sounded the same to me. I didn't touch the guitar in the store, other than to carry it out.

I guess what I am saying is to either take a friend who can play with you, so they can try the guitars in your price range for you, or get a recommendation on the store.

I don't have as much a problem with people who buy their first guitar on the net. Its a start and as you get a little better you could then spend a bit to get it set up properly and as you get better again you might want to buy a better guitar if you find its your thing.

I want a better guitar now but the only one I was tempted to buy was £550 - out of my price range. However, its only just occurred to me that the ones I played in the 'up to £400' that I didn't buy because they sounded and felt too similar to the guitar I already have, well that means that my £99 guitar must be alright. Result.

Good luck with whatever you decide - and let us know how it goes.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I got lucky with the cheapo starter kit I bought (Behringer V-Tone) since all it needed was strings and a setup. Would I play it in a concert? hECK no! But it got me familiar with electric guitars. Plus I bought it locally so I could return it if I didn't like it. The Behringer amp that came with it was well worth the $99 I spent for the package.

As for buying online...I took a BIG chance when I bought my Agile from Rondo Music. However many on the forum suggested them and said they were very reputable. Plus I checked the reviews on Harmony Central. But now I trust them and will definitely buy from them again. Since Rondo is the only place to purchase Agiles in the US I couldn't just go to GuitarCenter and try one.

The point is don't complete count out buying online. Make sure they havea good return policy and check the message boards for how their service is. Believe me if someone isn't happy with a company's service they WILL complain about it!

ReplyQuote
(@dcdtoons)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

:lol: Well thanks alot guys! With this info, I am shure I will find a great guitar. I am going to the music store today after school so I will compare prices and all. I think its a great idea about bringing a friend with me sometime to try out the guitar to see if it feels right. Thanks alot.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I am with mike.You must go for a cheaper one first.I think that behringer one is a perfect place to land , (unless you are not a lefty AND unless you don't live outside USA ).

You can get it on numerous sites .Check it out.
:wink:

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

sound like you need a stratocaster. they are very versitle and can be used to play many rock styles.
they are easier to play and with a flick of a switch you'll have brand new tones to inspire you.

you can find many prices if you look. Squires are ok to start with.

it's important to get your hands on the guitar.

feel the neck..is it smooth and comfortable or do the frets jab you.

twist the tuners and raise and lower the string tension. do the tuners move easily or do they feel stuck or loose.

does the guitar vibrate and produce a sound when unplugged? that's important. because if it resonates unplugged it will sound prewtty good plugged into an amp.

avoid starter packs as you will out grow them very quickly.

take a friend to the guitar store.

go into the quiet test room qwith five guitars.
plug them in one at a time.
pick the one you like and can afford.

play with three price ranges so you can compare quailty.
grab an expensive ax. see what that is like.

and have fun.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dcdtoons)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well i went to the guitar shop today. I don't know for sure, but i think that they don't give a crap about the music, just the money. Its sad, but from the moment I came in the store, the only thing that guy would do was tell me how much cheeper his prices were and all this crap. Well, I am a lilttle sad, but i guess that if i keep looking, mabey the right one will come. Also, one more question, is it really possible for someone to learn all by themselves? I mean i was looking at the books, and was like uhhhh what the hell is this?? lol I play the oboe so i understand music notes but alot of my friends say that tabs are easier to understand. So what should I do?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I am sorry for your disappointment but you'll find the place you like eventually!
Also, one more question, is it really possible for someone to learn all by themselves? I mean i was looking at the books, and was like uhhhh what the hell is this?? lol I play the oboe so i understand music notes but alot of my friends say that tabs are easier to understand. So what should I do?

To answer your question: YES! That is what I am doing right now but you really are NOT alone...Everyone here has helped me TREMENDOUSLY! Before buying a book check out some of the lessons here to get you started...they you'll know if you'll need a book and/or what book would help you the most.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2