Notifications
Clear all

New Player, Need HELP!!

25 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

If you can already read music use it with guitar also.
Sometimes tabs are easier to find but reading standard notation puts you a step ahead on your learning already.
Get a couple of beginner books and use lessons on this website.
If you get stuck and can not go any farther take a few lessons to get you past that wall.
And of course we are always here to help as well.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Also, one more question, is it really possible for someone to learn all by themselves? I mean i was looking at the books, and was like uhhhh what the hell is this?

Yes, it is possible. Heck, I'd bet at least 1/2 of us did (or are doing) it on our own. I prefer it, but it IS nice to have someone to ask a question to once in a while.

What is your budget, if you don't mind me asking? (guitar and amp)

Now, the next question is "which lesson do I start with?". Everyone needs a starting point. You'll need to spend some time building up to being able to understand and play tab. I'm sure someone can suggest the first few articles and lessons on this site to start with. The starting point is key. There may be times you are not sure which direction to go. Don't hesitate to ask.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

I'm teaching myself. I use this site, a Jamorama course, a Hal Leonard learning book, 2 Hal Leonard 'easy songs' books, another learn guitar book and various tabs I've downloaded from the internet. I find tab the hardest to read at the moment.

My progress is slow, would probably be quicker with lessons, but I have a range of things to choose from so I just play around. This is all just fun for me. My latest thing is that I've cracked a few different strumming patterns, so now I just play the chords to various songs in the books - I ignore when to change them in time with the sone, I just strum a chord and when I am ready I change to the next one. I figure I am learning chord changes and I find this more interesting than just going G-A-D-G, although I do that when I am in the mood too.

A rather long-winded reply there, sorry.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you already can read music use that. If you can't either use tab or learn it, or both. Tab is a simplified version that only works for stringed instruments. Very usefull at times, but if you already play oboe I guess you could use notation. Do learn tab as well since there are many free tabs on the net.

ReplyQuote
(@dcdtoons)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My budget is about 250 right now. I mean, I could go higher, but i would have to take longer to get the stuff. I am only a kid so its harder for me to get the money. My mom agreed to pay for a month of lessons. I think that will really help me.

I really understood just how into weights I was when someone asked me what day it was and I said Leg Day.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

as for learning all of the above tips are good.
if you can get some lessons that would be even better.

since you read music you have an advantage.

Tabs are ok in my book. sure you can learn licks, but they cant teach you rythm and good listening.

as soon as you can find a friend or two to jam with. learning goes faster.

250$ is a nice chunk of change for a starter guitar.too bad the shop you visited is run by a dealer as opposed to a player. i could be wrong.

keep shopping. any dealer worth his stuff will give you good attention....as they want your future business . be firm and dont take sht.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

My budget is about 250 right now. I mean, I could go higher, but i would have to take longer to get the stuff. I am only a kid so its harder for me to get the money. My mom agreed to pay for a month of lessons. I think that will really help me.

You can probably get a pretty good deal for 250. Atleast something to get you going, that sounds good.

I very much support lessons. There are lots of reasons I keep my teacher around even though there is nothing he has taught me, that I couldnt have taught myself. He is supportive. Shows me other ways that things can be done. Takes me in different directions, genres that I would have never thought of.

But if I had it to do over again. I think I would have spent the first month or two going through all the beginner lessons you can find here at Guitarnoise and similar sites. There are alot of basics that you can learn on your own, and save your money for when things get just a tad more difficult.

Good luck, keep us in the loop about whats going on. You'll find lots of helpful people here.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

No need to go higher. You can get quite a set up for that price. Especially if you go with an "off brand". More for the money kind of thing. It allows yout to get a better amp too.

You will never know what you REALLY want until you've been playing for a while. The trick is, get something that's not hard to play and is flexible in it's capabilities.

Oh, and a lot of people say "get what feels good". That's all well and good, but having never played, how can you know what feels good or not?

Is your music store a Sam Ash or Guitar Center?

Amps:
As far as amps go, any of the Marshalls, Fenders, VOXs (I'm sure there's others) in the 15w range will do you fine. You'll always need a light-weight practice amp anyhow, so it's not money wasted in the long run.

Guitars
Guys, I think I speak correctly that he should be able to get a solid wood body in the $100-$150 price range. Thoughts? If he did that, than as he progresses and satisfies GAS, he can still have that one for other purposes, like open tuning, etc.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

What about something like this:

Ibanez Starter Kit

It's within your budget, and comes with all sorts of cool stuff (including headphones, which are very nice for playing at night).

I've bought several guitars online and haven't a bad experience yet. MF will allow you to send the guitar back for any reason, so you can't really go wrong.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 Kit
(@kit)

I would agree with Musicians Friend being a fairly safe place to order from. I get most of my strings and other 'stuff' from them because the price is good and they stand behind everything they sell.

I am sorry your music store was so bad. I would say, 'hey where do you live and maybe someone can suggest a better store' but being a mom myself I can picture yours freaking out at that so ...nevermind. :)

Maybe you could do a search on the 'net for shops near you and find a better one?

- Kit

"Rock and Roll means well, but it can’t help tellin’ young boys lies..."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2