New Purchase - 12 string delight

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Ope
(@ope)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So, recently I made my first guitar purchase. My original guitar was a gift from my wife. The local Guitar Center was clearing out some items they would no longer be carrying in their store. Lucky for me, one of the items on clearance, a Seagull 12 string acoustic. I just couldn't pass one up at practically half-price.

So far, it's going great. I love the feel, sound and ease of play over my previous guitar. In fact, I haven't even picked up my old guitar since I got this one. Although, I have noticed just as certain songs sound better on a 12 string, some sound better on a 6 string.

Now, I've got a couple questions for the 12 string fans out there.

1. Aside from regular and steady practice, any specific tips for playing on a 12 string?
2. Any additional/special care needed for a 12 string?

Thanks all. Just thought I'd share my excitement. And to think, I only stopped at Guitar Center to blow off some steam, since I thought my house had a water main leak! Double bonus, no leak (was the fire hydrant) and a new guitar. What a good day!

-Ope

"What kind of music do you usually have here?"
"Oh, we got both kinds. We got country AND western."

(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

I bought a Seagull 12er about 6 months ago. Sounds really cool and some songs are especially good.

I HAVE found that where I use bar chords quickly and easily on a 6 string I do much better finding an open form of the chord on the 12 because I can't get a clean barre w/o a lot of attention to technique and a lot more exertion. The small diameter strings don't want to touch the fret.

Tuning takes time and care.

First string change will take awhile too :-)

But it sure sounds great!

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I've got a rare Gibson FB-12.You're quite right about the harmony strings not really touching the frets as they lie next to the fatter strings. USE skinnies!!!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I have an electric 12-string that I really enjoy. When I first started playing it, I found David's guide to playing the 12-string, Double Your Pleasure very helpful. Congrats on the new 12-string.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

I've got a rare Gibson FB-12.You're quite right about the harmony strings not really touching the frets as they lie next to the fatter strings. USE skinnies!!!

Cat

"Skinnies" = ????

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

I think he means light strings.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

My 2 cents...

I have a Gibson Epiphone 12 string I bought new ~19 years ago for $200, when I started learning the first time. I restrung it, and it's still in pristine condition. I don't play it as much as I probably should, but yes indeed some songs sound better with the nice fat sound. I've done the rhythm for Sundown (Gord plays a 12 string on the recording anyway), My Sweet Lord and another song or three. I love the sound. And it's not all that hard, not like in the beginning. In fact... :!: I'm going to try Imagine on it. The single notes might be tricky, since I'm really just a newbie.

I think I'll always have a 12 string. :)

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote