Notifications
Clear all

New to Metal

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@natas)
Topic starter  

Hey, I've been playing acoustic for about 6mths now, and I'v recently been given an electric (nothing special) and I want to learn a couple of metal songs. Any suggestions? I'm still very new to the guitar.

(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Start with the blues - most great metal and hard rock guys started there. - one piece of advice that a lot of true speed metal guys will probably disagree with - don't get all addicted to the metronome, awesome for math-metal guys who like to listen to other math metal guys bad for everyone else. You have to be able to groove too.
As for songs to learn, maybe Iron man or war pigs - good hard rock songs with a groove.
check out some blues lessons online. It is utterly important to learn to play slow to be able to play fast. Play it slow well then speed it up over time otherwise you get choppy, sloppy technique. Have fun and don't rush - play with others as often as possible.

ReplyQuote
(@natas)
Topic starter  

Never thought about listening to the blues. Thanks for your help.
As for playing with other muso's i don't have that option, sadly.

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member

As the previous poster said. Start blues, find your way to rock from there you can find metal. But if you are very new, then you definetly want to start playing blues first. IMO it all comes from blues. Learn the pentatonic scales. Minors first then majors. You can throw those blues notes in there to but I find that jus sticking with the pentatonics you can get to rock metal pretty easy. I find if I use natural scales, its for more atmospheric kind of songs.

Start learning the pentatonic scales slow and you go then build speed but worry about accruacy not speed.Speed comes. I've only been playing a little over two years but this is how I started and this is what I reccomend.

ReplyQuote
(@sixstringmadness)
Eminent Member

I will echo the above posts in saying that learning the blues is the ticket to getting in to hard rock and metal. A lot of share concepts are there including scales, chords etc. Blues is typically slower so it helps develop skills before you try chuggin along at 180bpm. Also learn some of the classic metal rhythms like the gallop. Go slow at first though. Fast metal takes endurance of your picking hand so be sure to incorporate some picking exercises in your routine. If you're looking for a good blues course, GuitarTricks.com has a good one- Blues Learning System

Check out my guitar blog at http://www.sixstringmadness.com

ReplyQuote
(@matthiasyoung)
Eminent Member

There's actually a Metal Guitar Method that is written for beginners. You don't have to start with another style just because you're a beginner, you just need the proper instruction in the style that interests you.

ReplyQuote