New way to learn the fretboard

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@the_jinj)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Stumbled accross this nigfty wee site : http://fretzilla.net/
You set it as a homepage, type the address you want to goto into it's address bar and then need to get a certain amount of correct notes of the board correct within the time limit to head off to your chosen page.....

Probably get tiresome quickly but always worth a shot :)

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Another good learning tool is "Fretboard Warrior". You might do a search for it. It used to be a free download and probably still is.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Stumbled accross this nigfty wee site : http://fretzilla.net/
You set it as a homepage, type the address you want to goto into it's address bar and then need to get a certain amount of correct notes of the board correct within the time limit to head off to your chosen page.....

Probably get tiresome quickly but always worth a shot :)
I like it, I don't think I will use it as my homepage but I will definitely bookmark it and head over there every now and then.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Another good learning tool is "Fretboard Warrior". You might do a search for it. It used to be a free download and probably still is.
This is my favorite also. There is a link to it on my web page (linked in sig below)

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Is anyone aware of something similar to that for reading sheet music?

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

I've tried those fretboard warrior programs and stuff but didn't find them to be much actual help.

The best technique I found for learning the fret board is to play each note from bottom to top string; i.e. E on string 6, then 5,4,3,2,1 and then F on 6,5,4, etc. When you have done D, do E again but back the other way - 1,2,3,4,5,6 then D 1,2,3,4,etc.
That is a really good exercise to help you learn the fretboard. You can slide towards the note as well which sounds cooler and helps locate it if you're lost.

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

both are pretty cool. I have to admit the Fretzilla allows you to cheat and I like that. Cheating is good:) he he

Thanks for the links.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

It took me a minute to get it, but I see now why they want it set as your homepage! It makes you tell it what at least two notes are on the fretboard to go to the site that you've got in the address bar. That's actually kind of cool! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote