Clear all

Newb questtion

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all, I've only been playing for about a month and started taking lessons a few weeks ago. I read a lot of the articles in GN and they talk a lot about how to practice, play, asses where you are, where you want to go, etc. So, I'm taking these lessons and I'm not really sure I can answer any of the above questions. I feel a bit lost as to how I'm going to get wherer I want to go. Are these answers I can't answer yet, b/c I've just just begun? What do lessons generally look like ( in terms of what a teacher will teach first, and from there they will teach X and then Y, etc.)? I hope this isn't too vague to get my point across. If it is, please say so and I'll refine.

Thanks,
BK

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Welcome BK! I've never had a lesson, but if I were to give one, I think I'd start with the parts of the guitar and names of the strings ...... How to hold the guitar and pick ........ Then I would start with a few simple open chords ...... Ones needed toplay a simple song ........ I would add some theory in as I went, theory that went along with the song / chords I was teaching. I would stress that this is supposed to be fun.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

As a teacher myself, those are the first things I would establish if you came to me. I'd want to know those answers so that I could plan the best way to teach you, or not teach you if I couldn't match your particular requirements.
Your teacher should have discussed your interests, your commitment, available time to practice, etc and roughly outlined a course of study that was acceptable to both of you - preferably with demos of how you'll sound when you reach various levels. Don't be afraid to ask. It's your teacher's duty to keep you aware of your musical direction at all times.

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

the first few weeks are tough...tough on your fingers...your mind...your will.......the brain has so much new stuff being thrown at it...it cant cope...so you wont know exactly what you can or want to achieve.....hopefully your teacher will guide you.

but above all keep at it...no matter how tough it seems.....the rewards are many...you WILL be a musician :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Don't get me wrong, I love playing and I've already learned a handful of chords and I can switch from one to the next with some fluidity. Its more that I'm having trouble envisioning a plan for a few months or a year from now. I like to have a plan ahead of time that I can refer to. Keep the comments coming though, thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Its more that I'm having trouble envisioning a plan for a few months or a year from now. I like to have a plan ahead of time that I can refer to.

Before you can have a plan, you need a target. Don't just say you want to be a good guitarist. That goes without saying and it's too vague to be of any practical use. As I said - get your teacher to make a plan between you based on YOUR interests. That's what you're paying for. Would you allow a plastic surgeon to alter your face without first having long and detailed discussions about what's involved and what to expect? - Well learning guitar is even more serious than that :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

Hey all, I've only been playing for about a month and started taking lessons a few weeks ago. I read a lot of the articles in GN and they talk a lot about how to practice, play, asses where you are, where you want to go, etc. So, I'm taking these lessons and I'm not really sure I can answer any of the above questions. I feel a bit lost as to how I'm going to get wherer I want to go. Are these answers I can't answer yet, b/c I've just just begun? What do lessons generally look like ( in terms of what a teacher will teach first, and from there they will teach X and then Y, etc.)? I hope this isn't too vague to get my point across. If it is, please say so and I'll refine.

Thanks,
BK

I can relate. When I first started I wasn't sure about what it was all about, I just knew I had always wanted to learn to play guitar but what I didn't know is what all it entailed. I did know from the outset that I wanted to really learn the guitar not just strum campfire songs but I didn't know how to get there. I think you'll find that as you grow into it and learn more about it you will be adjusting what parts your interested in. For instance, I didn't think that fingerpicking was something I'd be interested in, but now I can see a real value in it and not just from learning it to learn it but to expand my capabilities on the guitar.

I do think your guitar teacher ought to be asking these questions and helping to guide you in the direction you want to take. My teacher was more interested in teaching me to play background while he practiced his Clapton solos. :shock:

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats no good ricola ..... was he/she on a look how good I am trip?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

Thats no good ricola ..... was he/she on a look how good I am trip?

most definitely and trip would be the optimal word. :wink:

It's unfortunate because I live in small town and that was my only local source for lessons. He was fired about two weeks into my lessons and a new guy came on but they also raised the price from $50 to $90 an hour. Not worth it for me.

I figured I'd tackle it myself. I have a few instructional dvd's, books and software and I'm making good progress. Of course GN has been my main go to resource. :D

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

Don't get me wrong, I love playing and I've already learned a handful of chords and I can switch from one to the next with some fluidity. Its more that I'm having trouble envisioning a plan for a few months or a year from now. I like to have a plan ahead of time that I can refer to. Keep the comments coming though, thanks!

Have no expectations and you will never be disappointed either way.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

BK - If you really dig deep you do know those answers...because if you didn't then you wouldn't have picked it up in the first place.

Do you just want to strum simple songs?

Do you want to play in a band?

What genre do you like?

Do you want to be able to play lead, improvise?

Only you can answer those no one else. Once you've answered the questions about what you want to do a good teacher can then develop a plan to get you there.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

BK - If you really dig deep you do know those answers...because if you didn't then you wouldn't have picked it up in the first place.

Do you just want to strum simple songs?

Do you want to play in a band?

What genre do you like?

Do you want to be able to play lead, improvise?

Only you can answer those no one else. Once you've answered the questions about what you want to do a good teacher can then develop a plan to get you there.

And another thing, listen to all types of music. It's amazing what can inspire us. If possible see bands in person.

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice cnev: I definitely DO know what I want to do wit hthe guitar. I would ideally like to play in a band and write and record (even just at home) songs, etc. Obviously that entails a lot of hard work and many years of practice, but that part I know i can do and want to do. its more i need some structure to get me there. Do you think the fact that my teacher hasn't asked me these things is a bad sign or just something I need to bring up with him.

Do any of the more accomplished of you guys feel comfortable describing your learning process?

ReplyQuote
(@jeffyb)

There's so many different orders and ways you can learn things. I seriously recommend just hitting things from every approach you can, taking lessons from an instructor and subscribing to a website, buying dvds or books on the side and just learning every little thing you can. That's one of the things about guitar, you have to explore it a lot, but when you "get it" there is just a click in your mind and everything just opens open. Even though you may not want too I really recommend learning theory, it really, really helps.

8-10 Hours of Live Instruction + 450 hours of pre recorded lessons.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Don't worry so much about a plan, guitar is about the journey not the destination. Besides don't you want to be playing guitar for the rest of your life and continue to get better for the rest of your life?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2