Clear all

Newbie Advice Needed

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@socalavenger13)
Topic starter  

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kyle and I am a newbie here on this forum. I am currently a sophomore in college. I have always had a desire to learn how to play guitar, and have started several times but given up at some point due to life occurrences. This time I figured I'd go ahead and completely start over. I have another 2 years of college left and will have time on my hands to practice. So now let the plethora of questions begin. :lol:

1) Being a college student, I do not have the money to spend on in person lessons. I've been looking in to Guitar Tricks for online lessons. I have tried using the free lessons on you tube before like JustinGuitar. But I found these to be hit and miss. Each one with their own style which gets hard to follow. So with that said, what kind of online lessons would be best to learn with?

2) As far as a guitar is concerned, I have tried in the past using an old 1960's Gibson Dreadnought that belonged to my grandfather. I currently do not have this guitar with me here in Arizona and have no plans of bringing it here due to the climate. My big question is weather or not electric would be a better route to go for learning purposes. I've heard that they can be easier to learn your cords on.

3) With #2 out of the way, are there any recommendations for style/brand of guitar to buy? I would like to learn to play rock and some country (CCR, Rolling Stones, G&R, and maybe some Gary Allen). My budget is around 700 amp included.

Thanks for all the help in advance!!

Regards,
-Kyle

(@alangreen)

I guess from the way you speak you're in the US, so your budget is US$ 700, rather than Pounds or Euros?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@randy-johnson)

Thinking about question #1...

What is it about these sites you have tried that has not worked for you, can you explain a little more? Boring? Over your head with information? Can't get your hands working right? or is simply their teaching approach (which I think you meant by "style"). In other words what are you seeing hearing experiencing at the point of breakdown?

This will help me to think of a better answer for you......otherwise I am just slinging mud your way and hoping it helps.

ReplyQuote