Clear all

Newbie Recommendations

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@shaolindelt)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,

First - I am pretty much brand new to guitar playing. Actually, not pretty much . . . I am . . .

Decided to pick it up learning to play and have been jumping around doing a bit of research and figuring out what I need/want to do/etc. So I picked up a used Squier Strat from a local music store, and they are in the process of setting it up and it should be ready for pick up this weekend.

While I'm there, I'm going to pick up a few other things (amp, cable, picks), and I was just wanting to throw it out there - anything else I should be thinking of as I just start out? I'm planning on spending some time on the youtube path, and also going to look for some good books (my degree is in English, I learn best by reading), and then just for fun going to mess around with Rocksmith on the PS3. Any things that you'd recommend me looking at from Day 1, or things I may need in a few weeks?

(@alangreen)

Get a spare set of strings. And a tuner.

Chord cards would be a really useful addition to your collection, as well as some songbooks. With songbooks, get a book that has a bunch of songs by lots of different groups - you might want to play something by Children of Bodom, but if you can't play something by the Spice Girls then you're really going to struggle.

Tune up, get your chord cards in place and play.

Then hit Youtube.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@shaolindelt)
Topic starter  

Get a spare set of strings. And a tuner.

Chord cards would be a really useful addition to your collection, as well as some songbooks. With songbooks, get a book that has a bunch of songs by lots of different groups - you might want to play something by Children of Bodom, but if you can't play something by the Spice Girls then you're really going to struggle.

Tune up, get your chord cards in place and play.

Then hit Youtube.

Thanks! YouTube is definitely on the shortlist, as is JustinGuitar. I have a tuner from my wife's cello, so I'm figuring that should help. Hadn't thought about chord cards . . . just curious, from a learning perspective, would it perhaps be as beneficial (if not more so) to make them myself? Unless there is something I'm missing, I could see where actually writing them out and visualizing my own flash cards might help. Or is there something I'm missing to what might be included on chord cards?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

My chord cards have the standard picture of a chord box on one side, and a photo of your hand making that chord on the back; and I use both sides of the card when working with young students.

"Does your hand look like that? Yep. hit it" Twanggggggggggggggg.

They're mostly 11 and under so you've got to cut them a bit of slack.

Yes, you can make them yourself, but they're so cheap you might as well buy them from the shop.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@shaolindelt)
Topic starter  

Ok - cool . . . I'll take a look at them then. I just know for me that often the act of making my own cheat sheet usually helps cement the knowledge. I also have a great memory for body awareness and feeling, so I'm hoping that helps. I think guitar will test both my near photographic memory and knack for getting the "feeling" on doing physical activities. :) Of course, the fact that I am a white guy with no rhythm might be enough to keep me from being a great guitarist ... :P (Just kidding, I'm sure I'll be awesome . . . you know . . . in 20-30 years)

ReplyQuote