Clear all

Nice Electric Guitar For Beginner?

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, I currently have a Corts Acoustic Guitar and am looking to buy a nice electric guitar to use while I take lessons and learn to play. I do not need some ultra expensive 3,000 dollar guitar, but I would like a nice one that will last and won't break easily. If someone could help me find a nicely priced, reliable electric guitar, I'd deeply appreciate it.

Thank you very much

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

The exact style is up to you but the Epiphones and Squiers are pretty inexpensive $175+ and are pretty good. Lots of people swearing by Rondo guitars and they are really pretty.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

style of music matters also, pick something that will offer most variety. feel is more important to many, personally i would save and get the most you can afford when you step up to electric. the amp makes a huge differance as well

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Consider buying a used guitar from a reputable dealer. You'll likely get a better quality guitar for almost the same price as a "starter" model. And if it doesn't work out, you can resell it without losing too much money.

And don't go too cheap on the amp! I'd consider the Vox AD15VT as a very good practice amp that will give you a variety of tones, from jazzy clean to classic rock overdrive to heavy metal distortion.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info. The music that I'm looking to play is just basic rock. Examples: Howie Day, Lifehouse, Dave Matthews Band, Third Eye Blind, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc.
I would like a guitar that is nice and everything, but me being a poor college student, I cannot afford a 1,000 dollar guitar right now. I don't know if this helps you guys out at all, but any help and guidance (websites, reviews, pricing, brands, kinds, sizes, etc) would be deeply appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

Given your situation, I'd just go with a starter pack. The quality varies, but just play some in a store and see which one seems nice to you. Here are some of the common starter packs.
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Electric-Guitar-Packs--2646

Reviews can be found here: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar#man

I think the $200 Squier SE-100 pack is nice. Guitar, amp: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Fender/Squier+SE-100+Pack/10/1

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

A stratocaster style guitar with a humbucker pickup in the bridge would be very versatile, and would suit the music you want to play.

Check out the Yamaha Pacifica models, which generally get good reviews and seem to have reasonably consistent quality compared to some other low-end brands: http://www.music123.com/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar-i33950.music

Ibanez also makes nice entry-level models: http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-GSA60-Electric-Guitar-i29409.music

These won't hurt your wallet too badly, though they are a little more expensive than the ones Redpoint linked to (and you'll still need an amp.)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Take a look at the Schecter's, great quality and price.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Matt,

As a starving college student, :lol: you might want to consider Roland's Micro Cube for a practice amp. It's small and very portable, can run on battery or AC, has several modeling settings, you can practice with headphones if necessary, and it can be had for under $125. We have two amps, the Micro Cube and a Peavey, and I use the Cube most of the time.
slejhamer wrote: A stratocaster style guitar with a humbucker pickup in the bridge would be very versatile, and would suit the music you want to play......Consider buying a used guitar from a reputable dealer. You'll likely get a better quality guitar for almost the same price as a "starter" model. And if it doesn't work out, you can resell it without losing too much money.

"Amen" to slej's recommendations above.

Above all, try the guitars out and see what feels good, especially the feel of the neck in your fretting hand.

Let us know what you pick out.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I'd include a Squire '51 in this guitar discussion. Great starter electric, very versitile. And I'll also further pimp the Vox AD line of amps. Good stuff, a ton of tones, good feel. So much better than the little Marshall 10 watter I had, it's ridiculous.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks a lot for the replies guys..I appreciate it...will someone help me find one of these guitars/amps on a website to order from, so that I can see exactly what you all are talking about?

Thanks a lot

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
(@gorobei28)

Just a quick note on the lower cost Ibanez. I got one and its a good guitar but I have a lot of trouble with the strings buzzing, especially the 6th string. Someone mentioned it in the customer review of the guitar but I bought it anyway. It's not horrible, but it does get on my nerves at times. Just to let you know.

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

which guitar is that?

Banre, will the Roland Cube 15 sound pretty good and not like a piece of shit..because I don't have much money, but I don't want to buy something that's really cheap

Would one of those starter packs be smarter to go with..or should I order a guitar and then get a cube amp or something?

thanks

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

The Roland is better than the amps in most starter packs. Personally I found all of the amps in that size range unsatisfactory. The 30watt version was the absolute minimum for me, but everyone's hearing is somewhat different.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2