Clear all

Night Moves - Seger. Help...

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, I have the basis of the song down (gee, 3rd most simple song, ever) but I get the feeling something is a bit wrong.

The song pretty much goes G > F > C then back again. But when going from G to C, that F chord doesn't sound quite right. It sounds correct going in the other direction.

Anyone have any idea if they may play a 7th, sus., dim., or some such thing for that F to make it sound right?

Or am I just nuts?

*edit* For those who will pick up the guitar to try to help, Capo on 1st fret.

(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Okay, I have the basis of the song down (gee, 3rd most simple song, ever) but I get the feeling something is a bit wrong.

The song pretty much goes G > F > C then back again. But when going from G to C, that F chord doesn't sound quite right. It sounds correct going in the other direction.

Anyone have any idea if they may play a 7th, sus., dim., or some such thing for that F to make it sound right?I bought a copy of the sheet music for it many moons ago, and that shows it starting out as A > G > D > A. (And I just noticed the D has "A Bass" to the right of the chord diagram, instead of being printed as "D/A.")
I just downloaded a GP4 and GP5 (Guitar Pro) versions of it from MySongBook.com. EDIT: The GP4 looks to be pretty much the same as you have it, and the GP5 looks similar. (But with no chord names or diagrams in it.)
The GP4 shows it with G > F > C* > C** > G > C*. The C variants are:
C* X32010
C** X3201X
The F is the XX3211 version, and the second G is done 320033. There are a lot of muted strums tossed in between chords, too.

You could get the demo version of Guitar Pro 5 and use those two tabs to try it out. (The GP4 tab has just acoustic guitar in it. Don't mind the funky harmonica used for the vocal part on the GP5 version. :P )
Or am I just nuts?I thought we were all supposed to be at least a little bit nuts to become members here. :lol:

I hope this is of at least some help.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I play this song G F C with a capo and it sounds fine. The strumming pattern I use is D DUD DUD DUD UDU (the first bar is slightly different). On the UDU is where the F chord is played. You actually only play the F cleanly on the UD and the last U is muted.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I also forgot to mention that on the G & C chords you don't always strum the whole chord. Sometimes it's just the bass notes other times you graze the treble strings. It took me a bit to get the feel for the strumming on this.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Okay, I have the basis of the song down (gee, 3rd most simple song, ever) but I get the feeling something is a bit wrong. The song pretty much goes G > F > C then back again. But when going from G to C, that F chord doesn't sound quite right.

There's palm muting - after each chord - someone showed this to me a while ago and I can't remember, or, maybe it's a palm mute after C & F. It's realy easy once you get the rythm down.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input guys. I am playing the strum right, I am sure of that. That song is locked into my head so no worries there.

But for some reason, the F doesn't sound quite right coming from G. Its sounds right coming back from C. Now I do the lazy F chord most of the time but I also tried the real version and it still didn't sound right.

My thinking on this one is that seger, or whomever plays this part, has some lazy technique that "sort of" an F but not really.

I am sure you guys and gals know what I mean when I say that. I used to be baffled at the crazy chord names on powertabs for some songs until I realized that many of these musicians are human just like me and often come up with mutated fingerings. Then some guy who is making the powertab tries to come up with the proper name for that mutation. D11add9 is just a way of writing that muffled 2 string change from Dm to C type thing (made up example but you get my drift)

Anyway, maybe my ears are broken but it just doesn't seem QUITE right as it is right now.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks for the input guys. I am playing the strum right, I am sure of that. That song is locked into my head so no worries there.

But for some reason, the F doesn't sound quite right coming from G. Its sounds right coming back from C. Now I do the lazy F chord most of the time but I also tried the real version and it still didn't sound right.

My thinking on this one is that seger, or whomever plays this part, has some lazy technique that "sort of" an F but not really.

I am sure you guys and gals know what I mean when I say that. I used to be baffled at the crazy chord names on powertabs for some songs until I realized that many of these musicians are human just like me and often come up with mutated fingerings. Then some guy who is making the powertab tries to come up with the proper name for that mutation. D11add9 is just a way of writing that muffled 2 string change from Dm to C type thing (made up example but you get my drift)

Anyway, maybe my ears are broken but it just doesn't seem QUITE right as it is right now.

Phinnin,

I play this song exactly as you and it sounds fine to me. You did mention that you had a capo on the 1st fret, right? I also use the "lazy" F chord for this (I tried the full barre F but you only graze the the treble strings anyway.). One thing it could be is the strings on your guitar? Are they old? New? Nickle? Bronze? .12's? .11's? etc. Also the make of your guitar could make it sound different.

Here is a quick recording I did yesterday (I messed up the first measure since I realized it is a different strumming pattern.). My ears say it's correct...and I had my iPod connected to my mixer and played along with the recording about 5 times. Maybe it's MY ears that are wrong?

Night Moves

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Mikespe;

I listened to your version and it sounds just like mine. Doesn't that G>F>C sound a little off? Less off then C>F>G. Actually the C>F>G sounds right on as does mine.

I am telling you, there is some subtle variation from the studio version of that song. Very small change but its there.... A bit lower maybe?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mikespe;

I listened to your version and it sounds just like mine. Doesn't that G>F>C sound a little off? Less off then C>F>G. Actually the C>F>G sounds right on as does mine.

I am telling you, there is some subtle variation from the studio version of that song. Very small change but its there.... A bit lower maybe?

Personally I am happy with the sound of it. You might also want to keep in mind that Seger may not have used a capo and had used different chords. This would also account for the difference you are hearing. I am almost ready to try my luck at vocals on this one. I need to work on the first measure and also later in the song where seger uses other chords besides the G F C.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I bought the Seger book awhile back because I was frustrated with that song's muting. The book says the progression definitely is G F C and back C F G. They show a full F barre but I don't see the point in it because the chord is sounded out quickly then deadened.

They show to use a 4-finger G chord where you put your pinky 3rd fret/1st string and ring finger 3rd fret/2nd string. Why? When you play the song you'll hear a more chimy feel. More importantly, when you mute you are not stopping all the strings but just the ones that are currently fingered. You simply lift up to get a percussive stroke.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

My teacher tabbed this from the cd as
(click on the pic for full size)

Cheers

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Hey mikespe ,

I heard your recording and i have to say , i am impressed.Your playing is getting good and the sense of timing and rhythm are getting near to perfect.A little bit consistency in volume may help further.

Also are you using your fender acoustic guitar in this one ?

Good work :) (i think you should post more recordings in hear here section !)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hey mikespe ,

I heard your recording and i have to say , i am impressed.Your playing is getting good and the sense of timing and rhythm are getting near to perfect.A little bit consistency in volume may help further.

Also are you using your fender acoustic guitar in this one ?

Good work :) (i think you should post more recordings in hear here section !)

Thank You Rahul! I appreciate the compliment! I have been working on many things and that has seemed to help me focus better. And yes I am using my Fender acoustic.

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Man...this is the thread of my year. This song has been giving me trouble for MONTHS. I pretty much put it aside until i get a little better so I can give it a try later on. Mike, your version sounds pretty dead on from the recording of Seager's night moves that I have. I was wondering what F-chord you play between the C and the G. I've tried a F-barre chord and the open F played on D string and niether of them sound right to me. a friend of mine told me to stop worrying about it because you never know what sort of tracking and effects a recording might have had but yours sounds totally accurate so I know it can be done.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

cyranodb,

I use the mini barre F chord (x03211) and I have a capo at the 1st fret. The big secret is the UDU strum you play during the F chord. It's fairly quick and the 2nd up stroke is muted which is fine because that is where the chord change is.

Your friend is right about playing it exactly like the recording. Whenever I play it people are like "Is that Seger?" so I know I am close. I am not planning on playing in a band so I am not worried about if it's perfect...just recognizable.

ReplyQuote