Notifications
Clear all

No calluses - falling off from work

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Would dipping one's fingers in rubbing alcohol, or surgical spirit, help strengthen fingernails? Elecktrablue once suggested - in answer to a similar question - a cream for rubbing into horse's hooves (I think!) for toughening up my wimpy nails...but I never found a UK supplier, and didn't find anything else that worked, either.

:D :D :D

Vic
Vic,

There are commercial nail varnishes that claim to strengthen the nails.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Would dipping one's fingers in rubbing alcohol, or surgical spirit, help strengthen fingernails? Elecktrablue once suggested - in answer to a similar question - a cream for rubbing into horse's hooves (I think!) for toughening up my wimpy nails...but I never found a UK supplier, and didn't find anything else that worked, either.

:D :D :D

Vic
Vic,

There are commercial nail varnishes that claim to strengthen the nails.

They work. I used one when I was taking a finger style guitar class at the community college (using a steel string string guitar). Look for a nail treatment with calcium in it. I found it by asking in the cosmetic section of the drug store. I used it nightly - put it on while watching TV and let it soak in. My nails got stronger and weren't chipping.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

Haha - maybe I need prosthetic callouses :lol:
You could always go the Tony Iommi route and make you some leather "fingertips". Seems to work well for him.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@alittlelost)
Topic starter  

Yeah, but I don't need to make my fingers any bigger...I got enough problems already.

Brian

ReplyQuote
(@melody)
Eminent Member

Not for callouses, but for nails I have something called Witchcraft. The guy that told me about it did say something that it has an ingredient that is used on horse's hooves. I haven't tried it yet, actually forgot I had it until you mentioned it, so thanks! It's supposed to make nails very hard, but then there is some other problem with splitting or chipping...I forget exactly what he said.

ReplyQuote
(@alittlelost)
Topic starter  

Anyone ever try Rock Tips?

http://rock-tips.com/

Brian

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2