Clear all

Noise Gate Pedal?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've been working on chords, scales etc mainly with my electric, and decided to break the monotony for a while a learn an easy song to keep me motivated. So I got Scorpions Rock You Like a Hurricane for GUitar Pro and went at it. It's coming along nicely, but I get horrible buzzing and static. I don't get this on my clean channel, so it's something I've just encountered. A good friend told me to get a noise gate pedal. What causes all that noise? How can i stop it? Is the noise gate a good solution or should I eliminate it in a different way?

(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Anybody?

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Noise gates will cutt off everything at a certain frequency. They are used quite a bit, but I don't know if I'd rely on one when you may in fact have other issues going on. What type of guitar? Is there a problem with the guitar or amp? The cables? Are you putting too much gain on? Could be a number of different issues going on. Give a bit more info as to your set up.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm using a ROland Cube 30, with an Epiphone Lse Paul standard. I do have the gain pretty high for the metal sound too

ReplyQuote
(@davec)
Trusted Member

Actually a noise gate cuts off everything when the input drops below a certain level, the BOSS pedal has an effects loop on it so this is always based on the original guitar signal.. other pedals which just have an in/out are a bit more difficult to use effectively as the input signal will depend on what effects come before it.

The noise could come from mains hum picked up by the guitar, or just noise generated down anything with a resistance the signal passes through.. which of course also gets amplified with the signal you want.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on earth." - Eric Idle, The Galaxy Song.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Sorry, I drew a total brain fart on that one. :oops:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

A Noise Gate pedal is typically not necessary unless you have a massive set up of pedals. Try tweaking your sound using various other controls like on your guitar, amp or other pedals.

Good luck and check back in!

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote