Clear all

NOISE

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 jrb
(@jrb)
Topic starter  

I just started playing again after about 15 years off. I have light strings on my guitar and when I change chords there is alot of extra noise from the strings ringing through the soundhole of the guitar. How do I eliminate the extra tones? If I strum a chord down and hold it then swith chords it is the most irritating. Thanks!

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Can you describe the sound a little more? Is it the scraping of your fingers on the strings? Is it a buzzing sound like something hitting metal? Does it do it if you hold say an E chord and strum lightly?

Try fretting each string from the 1st to the 12th fret one at a time and play a single note on each one and see if the extra sound happens. If so remember what string and where you were fretting.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hi, jrb, and welcome to the party.

It sound like the strings are sticking to your fingers as you lift off. Then, as the strings separate from your fingers they're resonating.

Do you press incredibly hard, or do you have incredibly sweaty fingers? There is probably an easy answer to your question, but we'll need to know where we're starting from.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Just a thought expanding on Alan's post.
Your fingertips are probably pretty soft right now so the string sticking may be a real possibility and if so it should go away as you develop your calluses.

ReplyQuote
 jrb
(@jrb)
Topic starter  

Ok that's probably it. It's not a buzzing sound and it does happen more often after I play a while and my fingers start to get tired. I do press fairly hard though. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Ok that's probably it. It's not a buzzing sound and it does happen more often after I play a while and my fingers start to get tired. I do press fairly hard though. Thanks!
Well, see how easy that was. The noise will go away when the pain goes away. And by the way, that will just suddenly happen and soon.

In the interim just press as light as you can and as close to the fret wire as possible.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Oh yeah. Welcome to GN

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

be careful not to press too hard though, or you will push the strings and make them sound sharp

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote