8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@radium)
Topic starter  

Hello,
I'm practicing 60 mins daily.

My main question:

I know that when fretting chords, it is necessary to avoid hitting other strings with your fingers.
BUT, is it necessary to pay attention to not touching other strings with your fingers when fretting solo notes?

(@alangreen)

No, because you're really only interested in the note you're playing at that moment, so other strings can be muted.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@radium)
Topic starter  

My daily fretting practice is this:

Going from the top of the neck to the 12th fret using all 4 fingers.

Starting from the 1st string:

1,2,3,4 - 2,3,4,5 - 3,4,5,6 - 4,5,6,7 - 5,6,7,8 - 6,7,8,9 - 7,8,9,10 - 8,9,10,11 - 9,10,11,12 - (then returning to the top of neck in reverse order)

And then going to the next string, until I finish all the 6 strings like that.

I've heard that once bad habits are formed, they are difficult to unlearn.

I want to know if it is necessary to avoid touching other strings when doing this fretting exercise or not.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The answer to that one is the same as the answer to your question on soloing. You're playing single notes again.

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@radium)
Topic starter  

So I will gain "absolutely no benefit" from killing my arse to try and learn to not touch other strings while playing single notes?

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

When I started playing electric I found it was necessary for me to play more on the flats of my fingers in lieu of the tips. I can actually mute the string above and below the fretted string. It really helps with electric.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@radium)
Topic starter  

When I started playing electric I found it was necessary for me to play more on the flats of my fingers in lieu of the tips. I can actually mute the string above and below the fretted string. It really helps with electric.
So you're telling me to keep playing on the flat of my fingers and do not care about touching other strings?

Honestly I'm getting confused, since other people on other forums told me these:
Radium,
The purpose of this exercise is to develop technique.You should not touch adjacent strings when doing this exercise.

Mike

If your only trying to press one string then you should avoid touching the other strings

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Use your fingertips - you don't want to have to go back and fix sloppy technique later.

ReplyQuote