Clear all

Normal, or a problem with the guitar?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I noticed recently that I'd play a certain chord well up the fretboard on strings 1-3, and when I muted them there was still a tone ringing out. I discovered almost by accident that the guilty party was string 5, which was ringing the same tone as S2 had been although I never plucked it. Soon afterwards I found a different chord that caused the same effect on S6 (playing the same note as S3). I'm guessing that the vibration in the string I played, at a specific frequency, is causing the unplayed string to spontaneously vibrate of its own accord? Is this normal, or does it indicate some kind of problem with the guitar?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

it's called a sympathetic vibration or resonance. perfectly normal. if you want to avoid it in some circumstances, you will need to mute all unplayed strings.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@chasing_time)

Check if your strings are new, reccomend changing it every month.

e
B
G----Tuning this string can be hard if you're a beginner cuz its on 4th fret & the pitch can change according to the settings on e.

Try reading a harmonic book, I am not holding any honours degree in harmonics but buying that book has helped me a lot.

" Stalking is a sign of desperateness, a psychological problem hence a disease."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Check if your strings are new, reccomend changing it every month.

Sympathetic vibrations are more likely to occur with new strings than with old. Again, it's normal.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Sympathetic vibrations are more likely to occur with new strings than with old. Again, it's normal.
I'd think it to be strange if that did not happen!!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for clearing that up. The physics seems right, but still seems like it would generally be an unwanted side effect. I'll have to be more tuned (if you will) to it so I can do the extra muting when it occurs.

And glad to hear I don't need a restringing or an extra trip to the shop. :D

ReplyQuote