Clear all

Noteboat's book

19 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@painthorses)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm not sure if this has been asked already but here goes. First of all I got my copy of Noteboats book yesterday and read it from cover to cover that evenin. I was wondering if the order of the chapters is the order in which it should be studied, or should certain chapters be studied before others. and I am interested in in todays modern country (acoustic) and wondered if all the chapters would pertain to that type of music. I mean it seems that pentatonic scales are more for rock and soforth. just wanted to know if the whole book would pertain to me, Thanks in advance :D

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I tried to make the chapter sequence logical... rhythm first, then single note concepts, then intervals and chords. Within each of those big blocks, I tried to go from the simplest ideas to the most complex, so you can skip around a bit if it suits you - you may never need to know how to transpose Bb clarinet music to the guitar, or play a Rahawi scale; I just tried to be reasonably complete within each concept.

The things you'll find most useful for new country music will be major scales, triads, and progressions/cadences. After that, probably minor scales and extended chords.

I hope you find it useful!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@jarle)
Trusted Member

Would you care to tell us the ISBN-number?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

0-9724723-0-4

If your local shop doesn't stock it...

Music stores can order through Harris-Teller
US Bookstores can order through Baker & Taylor
Libraries can order through Coutts Information Services or The Book House
EU stores can contact Greybeard on this site - he's the European distributor

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wow, direct communication with the author of your guitar instruction book. How cool is that? :D No where but at GuitarNoise.

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but someday I'm gonna have to get that book. I am a moron when it comes to theory.

Painthorses- As NoteBoat said, the most widely used scale in Country is the Major Scale. But don't forget the Major Pentatonic as well.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jarle)
Trusted Member

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Noteboat, are you out of stock?

Congratulations if you are.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Wow, direct communication with the author of your guitar instruction book. How cool is that? :D No where but at GuitarNoise.

What's even more crazy is that he reads enough to see your queries instantly. THAT's what I call customer support! Tom: Do you reference the site in your book?

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'm pretty sure the book predates Noteboat's appearance at guitarnoise.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

No, I'm not out of stock... I'm just trying to build my distributor network in 2005 in preparation for the next book - I don't want it to take quite so long to hit break-even as the first one did :)

I don't try to give instant replies... although I do look pretty often.

And yeah, the writing of the book predated my discovery of GN by more than a year... Nick reviewed it after it had actually been on sale for about 10 months (but only 5 months after the 'publication date' - publishing is a funny business in some ways!)

ReplyQuote
(@painthorses)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your responses guys. I really look forward to reading the new questions here every nite. I have been reading them for a few months now and have had a lot of questions answered just by the questions other people ask. I'm so glad I found this site. Glad your all here. Its nice to know that a beginner can get experienced straight forward answers here. Thank you all.

ReplyQuote
(@omega)
Estimable Member

Thanks for your responses guys. I really look forward to reading the new questions here every nite. I have been reading them for a few months now and have had a lot of questions answered just by the questions other people ask. I'm so glad I found this site. Glad your all here. Its nice to know that a beginner can get experienced straight forward answers here. Thank you all.

How nice and jolly. :D Stick around, have fun, learn from others, and soon you'll be the one giving the answers to the new "new person". Its all one big cycle. :D

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@zorial)
Eminent Member

Im guessing the book is the one you have pictured as your avatar? If not then whats it called I would like to buy it and read it. I like to read anything I can on one subject as much as I can and it is nice to sorta know the writer of the book! About how much is it selling for? 8)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, that's the one in my Avatar, "Music Theory for Guitarists". List price is $21.95. It's standard music book size (9x12), 108 pages.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

For anyone thinking of buying Noteboat's book...I just bought and read it and I found it to be very helpful. It cleared up some things as well that I had read in other places. I still refer back to it also.

I think it is good to read about theory from many sources as some things sink in and some don't as we do not have photographic memories and sometimes something that didn't sink in, all of a sudden does when explained in a slightly different way.

Reading is good.

Nice job on your book Tom and thanks for the inscription you wrote in my copy. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2