Skip to content
Now I have my guita...

Notifications
Clear all

Now I have my guitar...Whats a good book for beginners?

21 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 Data
(@data)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone. Pretty new to the forum and just got my guitar yesterday. I got a The Schecter C-1 FR electric guitar and went and bought a new Line 6 spider III 75 watt amp. I am pretty happy with the purchase so far. Can someone please let me know whats the best book for beginners? I need the greenest rookie newbie book there is.

Thanks to those that helped me decide what guitar and amp to buy. Got a really good deal at $300 for the guitar which is in mint perfect condition.

Jay

Can I upload my own avatar here? I only see a place to link to one

(@lue42)
Reputable Member

Congrats on the guitar purchase. I have a Schecter S-1 and love it.

The book I started with, and highly recommend is Hal Leonard Guitar Method. The 3 book + CD is pretty cheap - under $20 if I remember. Take it slow... don't assume you know "it" already... do the lesson anyway. Perfect each lesson before moving on... make sure you can play along with the CD (speed/accuracy) before continuing.

I got the book at Chapters (big book chain in Canada - in the US too?)

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@tray07)

Congrats. there is a huge world of knowledge out there. a lot of times us new ones will put the cart before the horse, or so we think. I think its like this; find a song you like in the websites songs for beginners and find out what chords are used in it, learn them and then learn the song how they teach it. Then, at the same time really, explore this sights articles on chords and learn the basic chords as well. A teacher is great but not cheap and not always convenient. I do know that when you start to lose interest, learn another song. It keeps me going through the more boring stuff on theory and form and positions. Frankly, its a lot like learning a new language or being introduced to algebra without having learned basic math completely yet. Man it pays off and every now and then you actually realize you've learned something. My friends think im a guru cause i can play some of Wish you were here and i can go through chord progressions fairly quickly, or rather, fairly easier on the ear. But, most of my friends are drunk when i play so take it for what its worth.

1.) Fretboard Logic- Volume I, II and the DVD. Some will say no this is better and they are right as well but this book was the one i used as my foundation and everyone w/o a teacher needs a foundation to fall back on.
2.) Blues you can use- Wait till you've gotten a little bit along on a few tunes for beginners and some of the lessons in the logic series, but this book is awesome.
3.) The articles on here- they dont put them in a nice neat order in regards to the learning process cause thats impossible but pretty much everything you need is on this web sight.

Good luck. First song i learned was Horse with no name (America). feels good to make a guitar sound good and thats the easiest song on earth to play.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I think any book you find that is for absolute beginners will be goo. You can walk into you local music shop this morning to get one. Just ask a salesman which one. they'll come up with something. No worries!

At some point, probably by chapter 3-4, you're going to get bored and be tempted to put the book down. It's natural. If that happens, go to the Guitar Noise main site and start poking around. I know, it's hard. "Which" articles should I be reading? There is a whole beginner's section. https://www.guitarnoise.com/tag/beginner/ and before that, an absolute beginners sections. https://www.guitarnoise.com/tag/absolute-beginner/ Not a whole lot in there, but it's something.

After you kind of start getting the basics down, like striking notes, doing a few of those beginner books simple note by note songs, forming your first chord (Em..go for it) and your first scale, where you go is pretty much up to you. If you had a teacher, it'd be up to the two of you. Tray07 mentioned Blues You Can Use. That'll be a good one for you if you're even remotely interested in playing the blues. And there's the beauty of it all. Learn all kinds of things. They all relate in one way or anither. Learn Metal books also are out there, but I can't recommend one as I don't know.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gdhudspeth)

Asking for one book is problematic because every title has its weakness. I draw from a large number of books to fill in what I need at any given time. That said, I would recommend:

1. Berklee Method by Leavitt for flat-picking, and
2. Solo Guitar Playing, Vol. 1, by Noad for fingerstyle/classical

Both of these will also teach you to read music as a benefit, but like Roy said, you WILL get bored with a method book. That's why I have *LOTS* of books so that I can switch up when I get ready for something new. Also, don't forget the internet as a supplement. Lots on this site, as well as YouTube. The problem with using the internet is that you pretty much have to design your own learning program, and there won't be a lot of continuity. But you'll probably end up designing your own program anyway. Be patient. Skill will come, but you gotta pay your dues first (with time).

ReplyQuote
 Data
(@data)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am looking at some software and dvds also. I may buy the emedia guitar method...alomg with a couple books to kick off my learning.

I must say....my fingers are sore from practicing :note1: . I guess they will get used to it. I really love my new schecter and the line6 spyder 3 amp is just what I needed. I cant get it up past 4 volume before its too loud. The guitar sounds awesome. I have been practiceing power chords and just going up and down the scales to get the frett fingers and pick fingers in tune with each other. Seems like one hand knows where its supposed to be but the pick hand is hitting the wrong strings sometimes. But Ive improved already. :?

Jay :note2: :note2: :note1:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey Jay, sure sounds like you're having fun and starting to get into it. Doing alternate picking on the scales and the finger exercises? Best time to start is now.

Have you had to tune the beast yet?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Data
(@data)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The guy I bought it from had tuned it for me. I did have him show me how its done. I checked the tuneing yesterday and had to adjust E string. I had my friends guitar here yesterday. Its one of those cheaper starcasters :roll: ... I tried to tune his also but when I tried there was play in the tuners and when I moved it the thing went way out of tune. I just handed it back to him and told him I was sorry I could not get it tuned. Makes me glad I spent a little more then he did for sure. I wish he could afford a better one.

Jay

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hi Jay, it's good that you're checking your tuning. Best to train your ears on a guitar in tune. Check it every time you play for a while and then you'll be able to tell if even on string is slightly out of tune without trying.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

I may buy the emedia guitar method...alomg with a couple books to kick off my learning.

I think that's a good idea.
I'm a perpetual beginner myself. So I've tried lots of books and DVD's and software. I think the eMedia Guitar Method is probably my favorite.
My next favorite is song lessons off the internet - here at GuitarNoise and also at Justin Guitar ( http://justinguitar.com/ ) or Next Level Guitar - (See YouTube).

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I've found the "Guitar For Dummies" and "Rock Guitar For Dummies" books very helpful.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I saw that Blues You Can Use (BYCU) was recommended. It's a good book if you're interested in the blues but it's not for absolute beginners. If you want to use it wait a while - I would recommend using the National Guitar Workshop Beginning Blues Guitar first before going to BYCU to cover the basics. Even that book I would hold off on until you got the basics (chords, strumming, simple single note songs, etc).

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I also started with "Guitar for Dummies".
And after that, and some of the GuitarNoise lessons, I have been working my way thru Blues You Can Use.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I have one of those software teachers that you can have for free. Send me a couple of bucks for shipping. I think it's the emedia version but I can't remember. I'll have to dig it out. I bought when I got back into playing after a 12 year hiatis. Way too basic for me. Will do you well.

Edit, yes it is emedia. Not sure of the version but you can have it for free. Don't buy it.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well in the spirit of sharing why don't you send me a couple bucks too....I don't have anything to send you but I could use the cash! Ha

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2