Now I know why it is called the F chord HELP

21 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise,
Old Dog? quite a few of us starting in our 40s and older. 28? your still wet behind the ears.
If you need an F chord but can't quite play it, you can susbstitute an Fmaj7.
XX3210
Usually will sound ok in most songs.

XX means the two top strings. The fattest ones dont get played at all. 3 is the third fret, 2 is second, 1 is first, and 0 is the string left open.

I actually play it XX3211 and to me its not all the hard either.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Most guitar chords can be laid out like this....

E A D G B E (string)
x x 3 2 1 0 (fret)
x x r m i 0 (finger used - r=ring, m=middle, i=index) (p=pinky when used, t=thumb on certain chords)

the way I learned an F chord was this....start with this fingering for an E chord....

E A D G B E
0 2 2 1 0 0
0 r p m 0 0

slide the whole chord up one fret, then place your index finger over the top E and B strings like so....

E A D G B E
x 3 3 2 1 1
x r p m i i

in time, and with practise and added finger strength, you'll be able to either extend the index finger across to the bottom E and play all six strings, or bring your thumb round to the bottom E string....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rubburduckie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I actually play it XX3211 and to me its not all the hard either.

Geoo

Ok now what I know thw riting means thats how I was learning to play it, I think for now I am gonna leaveit a few days its getting me way to frustrated

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

That said, if I need a quick open F, 90% of the time I will use the 3 string version which is 5000% easier:

e|--x---
B|--1---
G|--2---
D|--3---
A|--x---
E|--x---

Ditto. This is one of the few chords that I "cheat" on when I play acoustic. On the other hand... when I play electric, I use this shape all over the place. In fact, for 99% of applications, this is my favorite A chord:

x0765X

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@rubburduckie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Too bad my teacher won't let me cheat, but I will try it out

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Too bad my teacher won't let me cheat, but I will try it out
Certainly you'll need to learn the shape, no two ways about it, and you need to develop your skill and strength to the point where you can do it, because at some point you'll actually need it! On a fingerpicked song for example...

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2