Clear all

Now, this is probably why I need a teacher or a coach

16 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Anyway, not for you guys to do my homework, but my brain is fried...

I always liked the song Venus by Shocking Blue, and got the 45 when it first came out. I still have it. Btw, Mariska Veres, the singer passed away not too long ago. She was 59.

The only chord sheet I can find (even the on-line sheet music companies don't have it) shows the intro as:
The intro is a fast rythmic tremolo on B7sus4. I play it with a bar on
the seventh fret: 797977 and afterwards slide the pointer finger
quickly on the E-string from 7 down to 0 to play the Em: 022000

Intro: Bsus2

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/shocking_blue/venus_crd.htm

I tried the 797977 chord. Sheeza no sound-a good. Although in the video it looks like that's what he's using, then going into the Em/A progression at fast speed.

I tried a different B7sus4: x22200. Sheeza no sound-a good. OK, so where am I going wrong? Maybe I need to revisit the B7sus4 797977. Hmm... must be me. :?

The Bsus2 I tried x24422, sheeza no sound-a good. And is there a Bsus2 in there at all?
Here's the original (notice that the guitars must use a wireless network! :wink: ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJqh6au7Ol0

If I don't get my act together, it's time to take up an easier instrument... like the sitar! :lol:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Yea - I remember this song! I think this is a difficult song to play? Those barre chords look difficult also? When I try to play "E" as a root 5 chord it doesn't sound all that good either (yet). Going from C7 to B7 is something I've never done either?

Also, I think B7sus4 is:

I don't know? Drop it and come to back to it in a month or 2?

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Actually the main rhythm of the song is easy! It's the Em/A progression 4 beats each, over and over... or at least that's how I've been doing it, right or wrong. But it sounds good. I just picked it up over the past few days, as I've gotten the fire in me started again. :D

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

B7sus4 is either 224252 - F#, B, F#, A, E, F# - or 797977 B, F#, A, E, F#, B

The video looks like an old Top Of The Pops performance, where almost all of the acts were mimed and thus cables and amps became not required. Singers usually kept their mics and cables because they needed something to do with their hands.

Good song. I remember that one.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

or 797977 B, F#, A, E, F#, B

Thanks. Yep, that's the one he used: 797977 Now I have only to make it ring, and get the rhythm. I'm psyched (simple pleasures for a simple mind :D ).
The video looks like an old Top Of The Pops performance, where almost all of the acts were mimed and thus cables and amps became not required. Singers usually kept their mics and cables because they needed something to do with their hands.

Good song. I remember that one.

I guess people back then wanted to see and hear a performance that was identical to the original recording, hence the miming and lip synching.

Edit:

Hahaha I just found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flLzF4RZsc8&feature=related

I'm determined! Um... yeah, I can kind of sort of play this now. I got the right chords in the right places, and the rhythm is coming. I need practice, practice, practice. But it sounds like the song.

Best advice I can give and hopefully contribute to the site: STICK WITH IT!!! Like a pitbull! :D

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Just a comment. It is curious, I don't know nothing about this band. I discovered them a couple of weeks ago while navigating in YouTube (really one of my subscriptions uploaded a video).

More unplugged magic instruments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs5h3a0vZvM

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just a comment. It is curious, I don't know nothing about this band. I discovered them a couple of weeks ago while navigating in YouTube (really one of my subscriptions uploaded a video).

More unplugged magic instruments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs5h3a0vZvM

They only had 2 or 3 hits in the US, Venus being the biggest. But they were quite prolific and popular in Europe. Mariska had, and still has, quite a following. She died of cancer in 2006, apparently waiting too long to get treatment (like Elizabeth Montgomery :( ). Both beautiful women.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

One hit wonders in the UK....

Yeah, I always liked that song, too.

I think the B7sus4 chord is actually a Bsus4 chord....I'm going off memory here, and just tried it (it's late at night, so on unplugged electric!) and Bsus4 sounds OK to me. Likewise with the main riff - I don't think it's Am, I think it's Em then A.

It's late, and youtube'll still be there in the AM - I hope!

Till then...try Bsus4. Barre across the 7th fret, mini-barre - with your ring finger across the 9th fret on the A D and G strings. Try and bend the ring finger up a little - doesn't really matter if you mute the B string, but try and let the E string sound.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

One hit wonders in the UK....

Yeah, I always liked that song, too.

I think the B7sus4 chord is actually a Bsus4 chord....I'm going off memory here, and just tried it (it's late at night, so on unplugged electric!) and Bsus4 sounds OK to me. Likewise with the main riff - I don't think it's Am, I think it's Em then A.

Yes, the main riff is Em then A. If I didn't say that, I meant it. :)
Till then...try Bsus4. Barre across the 7th fret, mini-barre - with your ring finger across the 9th fret on the A D and G strings. Try and bend the ring finger up a little - doesn't really matter if you mute the B string, but try and let the E string sound.

Vic

Thanks Vic. I appreciate the tip. I was thinking of the very same thing... seeing what notes make up the chord and finding a voicing close to the original. I've been using http://jguitar.com/chordsearch It has nice chord grids, and every voicing for a chord, and plays it.

I'm going to work on the regular B7sus4 and the Bsus4. They are hard because my main problem is getting my ring finger to arch, since my fingers are short. Stretching and dexterity.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Going from B7sus4 to B7 sounds correct to me.

B7sus4 B7
e---7i-------7i---
b---7i-------7i---
g---9p-------8m---
d---7i-------7i---
a---9r-------9r---
e---7i-------7i---

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi Wes...

Thanks, I'll give that a go too. :) These chords are harder on the acoustic than on the electric; I found I can make them ring better (relatively :roll: ) if I stand up. Aw heck, they're just plain tough. But I want to make them properly; now they're a challenge. I think if I can get these to ring, then I think almost any barre chord should be a lot easier. My hand hurts a bit, not "pain", but it feels like I exercised it. Ya think!? I'll leave the B7 chords for a couple of days and see if I come back stronger. That's the way it works in the weight room, so why not in this case?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey, Minotaur, something I just thought of - forgive me, my brain's fried from a week of decorating and a couple of days working out "Substitute" by the Who.

You've got three chords there - B7 sus4, Em and A, that are easily transposable to a different key. If you drop all the chords a full tone, you'll have A7sus4....x02030 Dm....xx0231 and G....320003. Stick a capo on the second fret, and you're back in the original key.....

Worth a try, I think.....anything for the easy life!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Vic. I did not see this post, so I apologize for seeming to snub you! :cry:

Yes, I will give that a try. You are right... anything for the easy life, plus the bonus of having learned something.

Gosh Batman, why didn't I think of that!? :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I probably shouldn't say anything so as not to jinx myself, but I've been able to make the B7sus4 (797977) ring. And I did it a number of times. :D Of course I'm slow as heck. But I just kept working at it until I got my fingers in the right spot(s). Pushing down on my index finger with my ring finger was a big help for the pressure. That was part of the problem with muting the D string, as well as just tweaking where my ring finger goes. I got the rhythm going pretty well too. I'll leave it alone now for a day or two... strength comes when you rest and the body can heal and grow. I'm pretty pleased. :D

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Keep it up, this really is one of those things that gets easier with practise. In fact, it should be easier to perform a full barre at the 7th fret than it is at the 1st fret because you're not pushing against the whole length of the string.

Rather than using your ring finger to push down your index finger, I'd suggest using your ring finger to fret the 5th string, and your 4th finger to fret the 3rd string; it gives you the space to fret that chord in comfort and means you can get your index finger to go straight across the neck without encroaching on the frets.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2