Clear all

Nut width of a USA Deluxe Strat?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
13.6 K Views
(@stormcrowuk)
Topic starter  

Can anyone who has an American Deluxe Strat confirm the nut width for me? I am a beginner and I am currently using a Fernandes Monterey Elite which has a nut width of 43mm. I am planning on getting a USA Deluxe or maybe a G&L Strat. I recently had a go with a Fender Squire with a nut width of 41mm and I found a real difference in that it was very difficult for me to play chords without muting some strings. I must admit I am surprised the difference 2mm makes hence me trying to find out the true nut width before I spend around £1000 on a guitar. I realise that over time I would probably adapt to the narrower width but I am worried that I will get frustrated with constantly muting strings.
I know I can just go to the shop and try some out but I am just trying to research a few guitars first before I do that. The G&L site says their guitars are 41.3mm which is probably too narrow for me which is a shame as they seem to be highly regarded.

Thanks

(@stormcrowuk)
Topic starter  

Can anyone who has an American Deluxe Strat confirm the nut width for me? I am a beginner and I am currently using a Fernandes Monterey Elite which has a nut width of 43mm. I am planning on getting a USA Deluxe or maybe a G&L Strat. I recently had a go with a Fender Squire with a nut width of 41mm and I found a real difference in that it was very difficult for me to play chords without muting some strings. I must admit I am surprised the difference 2mm makes hence me trying to find out the true nut width before I spend around £1000 on a guitar. I realise that over time I would probably adapt to the narrower width but I am worried that I will get frustrated with constantly muting strings.
I know I can just go to the shop and try some out but I am just trying to research a few guitars first before I do that. The G&L site says their guitars are 41.3mm which is probably too narrow for me which is a shame as they seem to be highly regarded.

Thanks

Sorry I forgot to mention I've seen on the Fender site that they stated the width to be 43mm I suppose what I wanted to know is, is this really the width?
ie How acurate are their written specs, especially as it seems that any slight variations in size has quite an effect on the playability of the neck for an inexperienced player such as me.

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

I dont have a USA Deluxe, but I have a MIM Strat. According to the Fender website my nut should be 42mm. I just measured it and it is every so slightly wider. Closer to 42.5mm.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

43 mm. Though it could just as easily be 42.8 like other Americans, and they might have stretched it a bit. But 43 seems right. http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0101202700#specs

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's 1-11/16 inches (1.6875") - that's 42.8625 mm, which matches up pretty well with chalkoutline's measurement.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

What Tom said, rounded up to 43?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Surely no reputable American manufacturer would give measurements in millimeters!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote