Clear all

oh no! does this mean i cant play?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dylaningram)
Topic starter  

Hi ladies and gentlemen, My name is Dylan, I am from Australia

Well i have a slight problem , I recently come into ownership of a guitar handed down from my mother so i said stuff it i am going to learn.
Problem is my fingers don't fit in the frets, now i have started taking lessons online at justinguitar but when it came to the first chord to learn (D chord) i found out that my fingers just dont fit in the desired places, are my hands to big ? or is my guitar too small? can you get bigger guitars?

Ill try to include a picture of y problem but i am new to the forrums so i am not sure it will work

thankyou

(@alangreen)

It does look like a very slim neck.

How wide is it across the nut (the white bit which goes across at the end of the neck)?

How long is it from nut to bridge?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dylaningram)
Topic starter  

Its about an inch across the nut, maybe a little more, i am just about to leave for work and i will measure it properly when i get home, thankyou for such a quick reply :)

ReplyQuote
(@dylaningram)
Topic starter  

Ok so the Nut is an inch and a half, if that helps any :)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

ok - that's quite slim.

Now, the photos you put up show your hand in the fret space to be not a lot different to mine with regard to how much space it takes up.

The next bit is the scale length. The nut provides one end of a length of vibrating string. The other end is at the bridge saddle. What is that length on your guitar? For guidance, a Les Paul routinely clocks in at 24.75 inches, and a Fender Strat at 25.5 inches.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dylaningram)
Topic starter  

I am going to have to find a tape measure for this, thankyou for your help, i will get back to you with the length, btw i dont know the parts of the guitar, is the bridge the part the strings ar connected to at the back ?

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Bring that thumb back behind the neck a bit. That will cause your fingers to hit the frets closer to straight down, and not laying across them sidewise. I have pretty big hands, and I mess around with some small, short scale guitars off and on, and some are tight. Give it a shot, and see how it works.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

btw i dont know the parts of the guitar,

This should help

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote