Clear all

Ok...finally beginning

21 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinking I can afford a teacher two, maybe three times a month; I have an "allowance" so to speak (since we're saving for a trip) so at $35-40 an hour I could have a one hour lesson almost every week. I might try to milk another lesson and see if I can get one a week. :D

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

You might think of doing half hours and going every week. When I first started, it was all I could do to stay up on my half hour sessions and be able to complete whatever homework I had by the next week. Shoot, that might even be true today if I were still taking lessons. I paid 65 every four weeks up until a couple months ago.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Cool...I may do that instead although the hour sessions aren't much more than the 1/2 hr ones. But since I am just starting, 1/2 hr might be the way to go for now. Good idea!

ReplyQuote
(@landog)
Eminent Member

Eirraca,

You can practice without an amp, but as a newbie also, I'd recommend you get one soon.

Being new to the guitar, part of your learning is hearing and correcting mistakes. This has been a huge part of my learning curve. I practice a little without the amp, but mainly with it and using headphones.

Hearing that you aren't striking a note cleanly will give you feedback about your fingering positions, and early on, we're trying to instill those good habits.

Anyway, here's the practice amp I got for Christmas. I'm very, very pleased with it and it was only 99 bucks. It's Roland Cube 15x.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030

Cheers,
Steve

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've heard good things about those and the micro cube as well, I'll probably get one or the other.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've heard good things about those and the micro cube as well, I'll probably get one or the other.

From blues to metal, you can't go wrong with a cube amp. Microcube might actually be a better starter than 15W....no reverb on the 15. The 30W Cube has everything the micro cube and the 15W have combined.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2