Clear all

OK...this was pretty cool.

19 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So the is a weird story but it has a beginning. Anywho...the alarm system in that was in the house when we moved in was decrepite and needed to be replaced so eventually the parental units called ADT and they sent some guy over, we sign a contract and he puts in a new system. Time goes by, a fly becomes annoying, I swat the fly and this causes some mishap with the alarm...long and short, the alarm contactor that installed the new system never did the windows in the basement even though it was in the contract but ADT sends some dude here to fix the problem for now. Anywho...long and short, the repair tech for the alarm comes here and repairs what was broken and when he's finishing up he notices my Guitar Player magazine on the counter and asks if anyone plays. So I said I have a guitar but I really don't play much and he asks to see it. So I show him my mex strat and he wanted me to plug it in. So I plug it in a do a simple (yet crap-tacular) blues shuffle and he takes the guitar and starts WAILING these incredible blues riffs all over. I was floored. He was doing clapton and santana and all kinds of stuff. He sounded awesome and my little blues jr amp was doing an awesome job. We cranked that mother and the tone was sizzling like a fried egg. It was the most amazing thing I ever seen. He gave me his number so we can get together and play some more. Anyway...I just this was pretty amazing and coincidental and needed to share.
:lol:

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

that is pretty cool. you'll get better faster by playing with that person.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Cool of him to ask you to play with him....my guitar playing improved in leaps and bounds when I started playing with other (better) guitarists last year.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great story. :D

There's nothing like hearing somebody make your equipment really rock to get you motivated to keep learning. It's wonderful to have it confirmed that you don't need thousands of bucks worth of gear to sound good, and that your own modest stuff can still cut it in the right hands.

And what a great opportunity you've been offered too. 8)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Yeah what Chris Said...

I love these stories. I've had few similar "Coincidental" meetings of other GIT players, mainly when I'm wearing my Fender or Gibson t-shirts :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

That is a great story, Cyrano! 8)

Be sure to take him up on his offer to get together and let us know how it goes.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

That's really great. I have been hoping to find someone in the area to play with who is more advanced than me. (Not hard seeing as how I am such a nooby.) Make sure you call him.

*Scatters guitar magazines around the house and starts wearing fender t-shirts.*

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

LOL.....

I called in a pub the other day, not somewhere I usually go, as I was putting my money on the counter, the barmaid said, "you're a guitarist aren't you....."

I'd never seen her before, asked her how she knew....

She said nothing, just showed me her hands, long fingernails on left hand, short on right....slightly confused till I worked it out and said "Ah, you're a lefty....."

The one thing that does tick me off a little, I spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds on guitars and amps....how dare someone else make them sound so much better than I can......

Just joking, it's a great motivator....if someone can make your guitar and amp sound so good, well, someday, you have to aim to be that good and raise the bar a little.....

Remember, if (insert guitar hero here....) if he/she can play it, I CAN WITH PRACTISE.....if it can be done once, it can be done over and over again....Everest wasn't climbed till 1953, now little old ladies treat it as a day trip, take scones and tea-cakes to the summit and toboggan rides down the hill shouting "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE................."

If it can be done, it WILL be done....just a question of dedication.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@razzlemacher)

Reminds me of the time I went to buy an amp at the guitar center.

The guy plugged in a cheap knockoff guitar ($99) into the amp and it started screaming, dribbling, wailing, a touch down here a slam dunk there - it was awesome. :) I obviously thought - if he can do *that* with a next to nothing guitar I should be able to do better with my Standard Les Paul...!!

So yeah - its great to hear other people play and play well.

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself - George Bernard Shaw

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It was a total inspiration. I've been playing on and off all afternoon and evening since he left. Well, I've been doing the stuff he showed me. My fingers are KILLING me.

My brother told me about this thing in the san francisco area called Bandworks ( http://www.bandworks.com ) and it's something where different musicians of all tastes and abilities get together to play with eachother and stuff. Unfortunately I live in NYC and there isn't any such thing but I asked them if they were thinking of expanding :)

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I avoided playing with my brother in law for two years. He's been playing 30+ years. Now we jam each time we're together and I always learn something. Good times.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

playing guitar should be requisite for all world leaders.
imagine the harmony. :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

cyran, a fellow New Yorker, although I'm actually a Long-guy-lander.

Great story, maybe we should meet up and play some blues.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@mogal)
Trusted Member

Your story reminds me of this Air Conditioner guy who came over last spring to do the annual AC check. Anyway, we have two air conditioners and he was in the attic one and had a question for me. I was down the hall in my music room, and he came in and saw all my musical equipment. He said something about my 12-string Alvarez and asked if he could play it. I said okay. He sits down and starts playing some old Crosby/Stills/Nash song (I can't remember which one). Anyway, he not only plays, but starts singing it too. Then he saw my 6 string acoustic and asks to play that one. He starts playing and singing a VERY VERY long Gordon Lightfoot song (It went on forever). Anyway, I found it a bit humorous that he was doing this on the clock! He took one of my band's cards and said he'd contact me to jam sometime but never did. At that time, my old band, "Some Chick Band" was split up and two of us were still playing together. We were in process of trying to come up with a new name and thought maybe "Two Hot Chicks and the Air Conditioner Guy" would have been a good band name.
Just a silly story!

MoGal

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

We were in process of trying to come up with a new name and thought maybe "Two Hot Chicks and the Air Conditioner Guy" would have been a good band name.

Coooool!!! :lol:

Come on, you knew somebody had to say it!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2