Clear all

Old strings?

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing for about 3 months now so my guitar knowledge is still weak at best, but I'm learning and loving it all the same.
Anyways, I had the opportunity to strum some guitars at the semi-local GC today. While messing around another guy was fingerpicking a rather nice parkwood. I asked him about it and he said it was nice but that the string were a little old.

So my question is, how can you tell when strings are old? Is it their sound? their look?

My strings have been on for about 1 1/2 months and I play almost everyday for 2 hours or so. If it were yours would you change them out?

Thanks

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

When strings get old they lose alot of their brightness and become hard to tune. After awhile you'll be able to tell when they get old. 6 weeks in the summer is a long time to go for me because I sweat alot I usually only get about 3 to 4 weeks on a set in the winter I can go 6 weeks but that's the high end.
When I was a beginner every time I thought I needed a new guitar I just changed the strings and got over the G.A.S. immediately.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

When strings get old they lose alot of their brightness and become hard to tune. After awhile you'll be able to tell when they get old. 6 weeks in the summer is a long time to go for me because I sweat alot I usually only get about 3 to 4 weeks on a set in the winter I can go 6 weeks but that's the high end.
When I was a beginner every time I thought I needed a new guitar I just changed the strings and got over the G.A.S. immediately.

Can you explain the term brightness? I assume it's the same as crispness compared to a dull sound? thanks.

I did get G.A.S. after strumming a nice Gibson acoustic, however, I told myself until I can truly tell the difference between an $1800 guitar and my $160 guitar there's no need in one. (Although I've already started saving for when that day comes. ;))

Also I apologize for the string question, I just read the 3 pages of posts further down the forum... :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

New String Brightness is hard to explain or describe. I'd say go get a couple of sets of strings.... change yours the proper way... (stretch -- Tune -- Stretch again --- Tune)

Then you'll hear the Brightness. Its unmistakeable. Some People like it, some don't.

Here's a way to tell if you need new strings with out "Hearing" it.

Run your finger under one of the strings all they up as far as you can go... if you can feel bumps and gunk under them, then yeah...its time to change them. I like to change my strings at least once a month if not every 3 weeks or so if I've been playing a lot.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

If your not performing alot, and they stay in tune a reasonable amount of time I wouldn't worry, but its a matter of choice as some said new strings may sound.....well, newer :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

If the strings that are on your guitar are the same strings that were on the guitar when you bought it then I would say change them and then you be the judge of how the new ones sound and feel. You don't have to make a huge investment. Slinkys or D'Adds will do fine for you.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Mike , how true is that.Strings coming with the guitar are usually cheap wires.I noted the difference with the Galli strings and got so excited that i made a post , when , i was done changing them at 11.30 pm. :P

Ricola : The best budget strings in the market (for acoustics) today are the Martin SP strings.You can try them.They normally should last you around 2 to 3 months atleast.For electrics you may go for Ernie ball Super Slinkys.

And as for the change of strings , its a matter of choice entirely.Pros do it before every recording , every gig.

Since you are learning , my advice would be not to worry much about the strings and concentrate on playing and having the joy of learning.

My classical guitar's strings are almost five months old now and i play atleast one hour daily in installments.And i strum pretty hard and bend the nylon a lot.Still they sound great to me.(Check out 'Holiday' for more proof on my soundpage.It was done with these only.I still have them on my guitar)

Rock On !

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I always wondered how you could tell the strings were getting old too. Anyway, this is the first time I actually detected the strings going off. I'm not sure how I knew but it was just a difference in the sound and also it seemed to be going out of tune quicker.

It's a hard thing to explain though. Ricola, will this be the first time you've changed strings? If so, irrespective of whether the strings are in fact old or not, I'd just change them anyway. That way you'll hear how new strings sound. Of course, it may still take awhile to hear when that set gets old, but if you play regularly just set a timeframe in which to change them. For me it was around two months.

Over time I think you'll start to find that you'll be able to detect your strings going off. I think it's a bit like knowing if your guitar is slightly out of tune; as a beginner we generally have no idea and are amazed when we hear other guitarists tell us the guitar is slightly out, even which string. Well, as we improve we can start hearing this for ourselves.

I would also suggest trying different brands as well. This is the only way you'll be able to tell the difference between them and which ones are best for YOU.

Also take into account that some strings may last longer than others (and may cost more) and also some may hold tone for ages then drop suddenly whereas others will lose tone slowly over time, but will be losing it from day one nonetheless.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I appreciate everyone's responses.

I had the guitar setup about two months ago and I know the strings were replaced at that time. They put on D'addarios, I bought them in a pack 3 or 6. So to change the strings, this would be MY first time but I'm looking forward to it, kind of like a right of passage.

I've recently noticed that my G,B & E strings sometimes go out of tune while playing and I mean way out of tune. I thought that maybe the tuners needed a slight adjustment on the screw to tighten them down a hair (as suggested by Greybeard). The strings don't appear to be slipping, I checked them closely to see how they were wound and they all appear as they should.

The string brightness sound must, as Bennet suggested come with experience. I remember when I first got the guitar it must have taken me 10 minutes to get it tuned correctly and now it takes no time...

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

new strings will take some time to stretch out and settle in. That was why it took awhile to tune your guitar in the beginning. Now just a tweak and you're good to go.

Have fun changing the strings. Can be a little fustrating at first. You will most likely stick yourself. Everyone does. It will probably take you longer than you think it should, you'll get faster with time. You are right on the money when you call it a "right of passage".

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I think it helps to wipe your strings off with a soft cloth after you finish playing each time. you should probably be wiping off the entire guitar, for that matter.

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

I've been playing for about 3 months now so my guitar knowledge is still weak at best, but I'm learning and loving it all the same.
Anyways, I had the opportunity to strum some guitars at the semi-local GC today. While messing around another guy was fingerpicking a rather nice parkwood. I asked him about it and he said it was nice but that the string were a little old.

So my question is, how can you tell when strings are old? Is it their sound? their look?

My strings have been on for about 1 1/2 months and I play almost everyday for 2 hours or so. If it were yours would you change them out?

Thanks

Strings are cheap. Your playing 2 hours a day. You should change them every 3 to 4 weeks.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I changed the strings last night. woo hoo! It took some time but I finally got it. I'm sure the next time will be much faster now that I have a clue as to how it all works.

The funny thing is, before I decided to change them, I was sitting there strumming some chords talking with my wife and I got to looking at the low E string. The strings were so tarnished that I could tell which notes I played most often by their color! You could just about make out what scales and chords I played. :lol:

I ended up changing them out and enjoyed every minute. Now she looks like new again. well almost..

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Congrats Ricola!! It does get easier but to be honest there is so much time inbetween changes that next time (Although easier) you'll still probably be a bit nervous. Sounds alot better dont it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Well done mate! And yep, it DOES get easier ... and quicker.

So how does she sound? :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2