Clear all

one finger barre chord ?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@henry-the-wasp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

if we take the chord of A this is a triad because it has three notes or less,this can also be barred with one finger but is frowned on by some guitarists.So as triads can be moved along the neck ie...A, then one full step becomes B, ETC.......Then can all those chords be played as a barre with one finger all along the neck? it would make life very easy esp the further along the neck you go the less space you have.HEY YOU COULD PLAY CHORDS WITH JUST ONE FINGER!

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

puts pedantic, nit-picky hat on for a moment

"this is a triad because it has three notes or less" - it's a triad because it has THREE notes, in the same way a tricycle has three wheels, a tripod has three legs, and a triangle has three sides.

takes hat off

Yep, three notes....and those notes are the root, third and fifth of the A major scale. A chord consist of three notes or more - except for 5 chords, which are usually just two notes. So what's wrong with playing just those three strings? Nothing at all. It might sound a little thin if there's just one guitarist playing and singing, but if there are two guitarists playing, one of them playing open chords, there's nothing wrong with the other playing triads....and they don't have to be A-shaped triads, either. Why not D or C or E-shaped triads?

If you want fat-sounding 1-finger barres though, why not try open G or open D tuning? Works for Keef....one-finger chords with a couple of little add-ons (like 4ths and 6ths) sound great to me. Open tunings work great with blues shuffles as well - you know, the A5 - A6 - A7 sequence used a lot in rock and blues. Instead of a 5-fret stretch, you've now got a three fret stretch which is a heck of a lot easier!

It also makes adding a melody to a chord pretty easy.

Try it - you might like it. Keef does! So do I, and so do people like Jimmy Page, Derek Trucks, Jack White, etc....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@henry-the-wasp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ha ha cheers Vic,my thoughts were right anyway thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

that three string barre shape is very useful. when I play a lick or fill barring the A on the second fret with one finger allows me all kinds of notes to play with my ring and middle finger an interval up the neck.
this is one of those movable shapes that works up and down the neck, more or less.
I like how the open C7 chord works as I move it up the neck.

there are many ways to play. sometimes there are very wrong ways. not many.
sometimes 'coloring outside the lines' isn't a bad thing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@henry-the-wasp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Cheers Dogbite,
I play Rockabilly and Blues and i find it very useful, i find if i break the rules hell hang on....What rules! Well if i break the so called rules then i get some good sounds but i am asking these questions as i am self taught and the more i go into the theory then the more questions i am coming across and if i would get away with some of these ideas in front of an audience.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Play G B C B Bb A as

|--3--x--x--x--x--x--|
|--0--4--5--4--3--2--|
|--0--4--5--4--3--2--|
|--0--4--5--4--3--2--|
|--2--x--x--x--x--0--|
|--3--x--x--x--x--x--|

and see what happens. :wink:

Hint... it was a big hit; he died at 26 years old. :(

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@henry-the-wasp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What year was it a hit?

ReplyQuote