open chords to barr...

Notifications
Clear all

open chords to barre chords

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@valcom2)

Play the D as a barred A chord. Easy to jump between barre E and barre A chords. Now the whole song is just sliding barres up and down the neck.

ReplyQuote
 EMT
(@emt)
Trusted Member

can someone show a picture of a B and a Bm. I can't quite figure out how exactly I am to place my fingers for this.

red meat doesn't kill you, fuzzy green meat does.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

One way is to play an A or Am and slide it up 2 frets, then just strum the 3 fretted strings.

xx444x : A
xx443x :Am

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

can someone show a picture of a B and a Bm. I can't quite figure out how exactly I am to place my fingers for this.

This one is a little hard to get the F# on the first string 2nd fret because of a tendency to get the G# on the first string 4th fret. My teacher said just mute it and sound it as x2444x. You've already got an F# in the chord.

You don't have to barre the Bm at the 2nd fret, you could just fret the F# on the first string. You just won't get the sound of the low B on the fifth string 2nd fret.

Chord charts @ http://www.jguitar.com/

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

try playing an F#m7 which is 202200, easy to get to from most variations of an open A and gives a really nice sound if you play all strings cleanly.

This is interesting, and if I am reading and understanding correctly, this might solve a dilemma I have.

I am playing (well, learning to play) Instant Karma. I am using the acoustic guitar and barre chords.
3x
||: A F#m :|| F G A
|-----5------2------------1----3---5---|
|-----6------2------------2----4---6---|
|-----7------4------------3----5---7---|
|-----7------4------------3----5---7---|

Two problems, which will be solved with practice and improvement in technique:
1. Hard to go from open A to F#m at this point in my playing, hence the barre chords.
2. Serious scratching sound when sliding up and down the neck playing the barres.

But in the meantime as an alternative, should I give these a try?:
3x
||: A F#m :|| F G A
|-----0------x------------1----3---0---|
|-----2------2------------1----0---2---|
|-----2------2------------2----0---2---|
|-----2------4------------3----0---2---|
|-----0------x------------3----2---0---|
|-----x------x------------x----3---x---|

Or...
3x
||: A F#m7 :|| F G A
|-----0------0------------1----3---0---|
|-----2------0------------1----0---2---|
|-----2------2------------2----0---2---|
|-----2------2------------3----0---2---|
|-----0------0------------3----2---0---|
|-----x------2------------x----3---x---|

ReplyQuote
 EMT
(@emt)
Trusted Member

I have the tablature, that's not the problem. I just can't figure out where to put what finger. I run out of fingers and still had dots.
and some really flat notes :?

red meat doesn't kill you, fuzzy green meat does.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Typically for the Bmaj you'd bar the 2nd fret, and bar the 4th fret, trying to not hit the 1st string 4th fret. That's what I was taught, but I can't do it. If you have to, mute the first string. Or if your fingers are long enough to reach, use your index finger on the low B (or bar it) and your middle, ring and pinky on the D, G, B strings 4th fret.

Bm is a bar at the 2nd fret with your index finger, middle finger second string 3rd fret, 3rd and 4th fingers on the 4th fret of the d & G strings.

I daresay there's no right or wrong way to finger any chord, as long as you make it sound, it's comfortable, and you can change to another chord with relative ease.

For example, I always used my first and second fingers to make an Em. My teacher said I should try using my 2nd and 3rd fingers and leave my first finger free for when I have to use it in a chord change. But either way works.

Bmaj and Bm are both A-shape (or "root 5" because the root note is on the 5th string, and without the barre they look like Amaj and Am, respectively) barre chords. They are the counterpart to E-shape or root 6 strings (Fmaj, F#maj, etc.).

I hope that wasn't too confusing on the one hand, nor condescending on the other. I'm sure someone could explain it better.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2