Clear all

open chords

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was thinking if i made a g chord and moved it up to frets which would be one step will it then be an a chord ? If so does this work for all open chords ?
Thanx

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

The short confusing answer is...no.

If you are playing an open chord, at least one note/string will be open or terminated at the nut. If you move the fretted fingers in either direction up or down the fretboard, all notes related to that chord most move accordingly, also. An open note can't move.

Now if you were to barre the G chord then you can move it anywhere up or down the fretboard and it will be a different note but a chord none the less. For example if you play a G-barre chord and move two frets towards the bridge you now have an A-barre chord. If you move two frets towards the nut you'll have an F-barre chord.

Hope that makes sense.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

No, it wouldn't.

The difference between an 'open' chord (like G) and a 'first position' chord (like F) is that open chords aren't moveable, and first position chords are.

You CAN move up the fingering - and in some places, you'll probably like the result - but it'll be a completely different chord... it won't be a simple major chord anymore.

If you take an open G chord, 320003 and look at the notes, it's GBDGBG. The only notes used in a G chord are G, B, and D.

Move that fingering up two frets and you have 540005... which is A-C#-D-G-B-A. An A chord needs the notes A, C# and E - you'll be missing E and adding D, G, and B in its place. What you name that monster depends on how it's used, but it might be considered A11 (with no fifth in the voicing)

On the other hand, any chord with no open strings - like first position F - can be moved to anyplace else on the neck without changing the chord type. F played at the third fret becomes G.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

What you can do if you want to play open chords higher is put a capo on to get those open strings. If you wanted to move an open chord up two frets then you'd capo at the second fret. Of course, then you have to play all your chords higher.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Think of the nut of the guitar as a barre you play with your index finger across all 6 strings.

So, an open G chord like this;

e---3p---
b---0----
g---0----
d---0----
a---2m---
e---3r---

Moved up two frets to be an A Major chord would look like this;

e---5p---
b---2i---
g---2i---
d---2i---
a---4m---
e---5r---

Do you see here that your index finger has taken the place of the nut in the open G chord?

This will help you understand barre chords. Barre chords are really exactly like open chords.

Open chords are played behind the nut.

Barre chords are played behind your index finger replacing the nut.

Once you understand this you see that you can really barre any open chord (providing you have enough free fingers) and move it up the fretboard.

But some open chords are easier to barre than others and so more frequently used. It is easy to fret an E or E minor, A or A minor, C, D7, and D minor chords behind a barre. These are used frequently. G and G7 are a little difficult to play behind a barre, as is a D chord. But these can be played and should be practiced.

Hope I didn't confuse you with all this.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

What about:

E|-15-|
B|--0-|
G|--0-|
D|--0-|
A|-14-|
E|-15-|

Is that an open G chord?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, it is. An open chord is any chord that uses open strings... you could also do:

-0-
-5-
-6-
-7-
-0-
-0-

for an open A, etc.

What makes them 'open' chords is the use of open strings. Although we usually think of open chords in first position, they don't have to be.

Any chord that uses open strings will become a different chord type if it's moved - unless it's moved exactly twelve frets.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

That last one is great to throw into a blues improv in A or E (at the right moment) if you want to start getting away from just single note runs.

ReplyQuote
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ok thanks for the input.

ReplyQuote