Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

open G -> barre F -> open G change help.

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

[or how to switch between open and barre chords]

I would appreciate some opinions as to how to practice this chord change (G to F back to G). I normally do a 3 finger G with middle/ring/pinky fingers so the index is in place to do the barre but I feel like I am having to move my fingers away from the top of the strings first to be able to position them in place for the F.

I know it's ideal to move the whole F shape all together but which fingers would you move first until then ?

oktay

(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Hi Man,

From G to F, I move the middle first, followed by the ring and then the pinky (or ring and pinky simultaneously).
I lay the index across at the very last.

Practice the change daily at an extremely slow rate; you will get the hang of it in no time.

BTW, how are classes going. Which one are you in right now?
I had my first lesson with Suke last Sunday.
They describe him as a "deep theory man" and they were telling no lies. :)

Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Just practice and it will come in time.Its tough.

Also can you change between C to F.If not try that first.Then G to F will be easier.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Have you considered barring the G at the 3rd fret? Makes the change a nice slide down to the 1st fret and, then, back to 3.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

I'm with greybeard advice: the best way to change betwwen F and G is to play both with barre. Now I'm trying to play all the G chord with barre at third fret, since this way it is also easier to change between C and G (another very common chord transition)

Of course it needs a bit of excercise...but after a while you can see some results!

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I know this is terribly off topic but oktay , how does your avatar keeps changing everytime the page loads ??

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Have you considered barring the G at the 3rd fret? Makes the change a nice slide down to the 1st fret and, then, back to 3.

I agree with greybeard also...however it does depend on what chord you are going to next as well. But just keeping the same shape as the F chord slide your index (barre) to the 3rd fret.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

dont over think it. after playing the G chord simply let go and form the F.
I know, at first this will be difficult. but your hands/fingers will learn the position and memory will take over.

it will be like placing your hand on your computer mouseremoving your hand and grabing a coffee mug. you can do that simply without a thought.
it really is no different on guitar.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@kkillam)

Well put dogbite - I think that is my number one road block to guitar - over-thinking! Once the necessary muscle strength and memory are developed then it's time to relax and let it happen!!

kk

Kelly,
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather to skid in sideways, guitar in one hand, a beer in the other, body thoroughly used up and shouting "WOO HOO what a ride !! "

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the comments. I practiced a little bit more after posting this last night and I'm already getting better at it ;)

Also. I hear the advice about using a barred G as well but it won't do right now because I am going to the G from all open chords (G Em C G then F -> G ). Actually not that it won't do but I'd still have to move from an open chord to a barred chord. It just wouldn't be these two.
I know this is terribly off topic but oktay , how does your avatar keeps changing everytime the page loads ??

Rahul, It's a programming trick. The image is not really an image but a dynamic web page that outputs an image. It picks an image from among about 500 randomly and serves it to this site as if it were an image.

The code: http://konspyre.org/my/avatar/avatar.phps
The result: http://konspyre.org/my/avatar/avatar.php or (all the same file)

GoodVicHunting: I am in Intermadiate Beginner and today is the last session, Rock Star Moment. That's what this G<->F thing is for :) How did your leson go?

Thanks again.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well.. I obviously couldn't master these chord switches. But I played the song like I meant it and almost had fun doing it. So it's all good :) I'll have time to learn.

oktay

ReplyQuote