Clear all

Open G Chord - 1 2 3 or 2 3 4 ?

19 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@fixer)
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I've seen suggested open G fingerings using both 1-2-3 (i.e. index, middle, ring) or 2-3-4. I've been trying 2-3-4 primarily, because more books seems to indicate this fingering. However, the 1-2-3 seems that it is a bit easier to manage (that pinky is always late to the party), though you then have to take a long trip to get back to C or G7. Any suggestions for which is better to learn for the long run?

(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Yep....learn them both....knowing each is very useful.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The 1-2-3 fingering's easier, but the 2-3-4 is a good weapon to have in your arsenal. It's especially handy for changing from G to G7 or Gsus4 and for chord changes like G to Cadd9. There are times when you'll need to know both, so it's a good idea to learn both voicings.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wylesmyde)
Estimable Member

I use both fingerings depending on what chord I am transitioning "from" or "to". The pinky is the hardest finger train IMHO. Another popular fingering for the open G chord is to use all four fingers. This requires the ring finger to cover the 3rd fret on the B string and the pinky to cover the 3rd fret on the high E string. Forcing myself to play that configuration helped train my pinky. (I think it didn't like being left all alone, so I gave it a friend next door :-).
:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

I agree with learning both ways. The 1-2-3 is definitely easier, and as Vic said going from G to Cadd9 is where I find the 2-3-4 helpful. My problem with the 2-3-4 is not with my pinkie. It's my ring finger that's giving me fits. It keeps sliding off onto the A string. :x

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I first learned 2-3-4, but then a guitar teacher chewed me out for not using 1-2-3. Either way works, but the 1-2-3 is easier to do.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I first learned 2-3-4, but then a guitar teacher chewed me out for not using 1-2-3. Either way works, but the 1-2-3 is easier to do.

Are you sure you haven't got that the wrong way round? I can't imagine any guitar teacher ever doing that.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Nope, I got it right. AND, I no longer visit that guitar teacher! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Nope, I got it right. AND, I no longer visit that guitar teacher! :wink:

Glad to hear it Colorado :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Long
(@long)
Eminent Member

I think that the 2-3-4 is better, especially when you're switching to a C-chord afterwards.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

At first I did the 1,2,3 fingering but now I use 2,3,4 almost all the time. Its a good thing I have my git handy near the computer so I can be sure before I answer, its like a muscle memory thing that I have to do it to know how I do it.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

I don't think I've ever actually played 123. I've only played 234, that's how I've always seen it. I've played 1234 though.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

My guitar teacher (way back when) made me learn both. He also pounded the concept of economy of movement into my head, which basically states the less distance your fingers have to move, the quicker they get to where they need to be.

He'd chew me out for working too hard to play a phrase, then assign exercises like, "Find three positions on the neck to play this phrase, then work all three up to the quickest tempo you can by next week."

He was a cranky old teddy bear, and I thank him every time I pick up my axe.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

I've mostly used 123 but when I started doing barre chords I started practicing any chords I could with 234 so barring would be easier. In open position I mostly still use 123 though.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Sometimes I'll use T-2 ~ the joint of the thumb holding the 3rd fret sixth string, with the rest of the thumb bending to lightly mute the fifth string, and the pad of the second finger holding the 3rd fret, first string. Like making a big letter "C" with thumb and second finger and hooking the edges on those strings.

Apart from this, like others have said, learn both 123 and 234.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2