Clear all

open jam tonight!

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm going to an open jam tonight for my first time at a local music store.

Having played for about...8 months, i'm nervous. I don't know anyone there.

On the other hand, I'm excited to meet some people.

any tips?

I'm doubting there will be many my age (25) who are in my skill range

(@davidhodge)

Number 1 tip - relax and try to have fun. It's not a competition. Meeting people and getting to play with other people, regardless of their age and skill set, is always a learning experience if you're not hung up on any side of the "good/better/best" mindset.

If you're backing up someone, concentrate on the music and on picking up whatever cues you can from the other players. If you're leading a song, don't be shy about asking people to solo or to lay back.

But, again, the important is to enjoy it and have a great time. We're looking forward to getting a report afterward!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Good luck! Have lots of fun! Whereabouts is the open jam?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

anderson, indiana.

Wanna come? :)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Love to, but I'm teaching lessons all evening. Won't get done in time to make the commute! :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have attended tons of open jams. so I am curious about the definition of the open jam in a guitar store. do they paly cover songs? and y'all pick a part?
at the jams I go to we don't play covers...everything is made up. we respond to what is being played and allow it to go and take on life of its own.

but true to any jam....knowing when not to play is very important. don't play all out the whole time, let the quiet spaces breathe. if you can't play fast, play sloooow. if asome one turns up to play a lead lick don't everyone turn up too. man, it gets way too loud and all the dynamics are gone.
listen, listen and listen...that is most important. and

KIS. keep it simple.

have fun. don't be nervous or intimidated.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

anderson, indiana.

Wanna come? :)
Sure ting ma'n. If I left now, I should be there by Saturday. Think you guys will still be jamming? :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, don't worry about age or experience. At most jams you will have some players who are much better, some about the same skill level, and some with less skill level. Who cares? :D It's all about having a good time jamming. Folks are not there to judge you, and most will be more concerned about their own playing than yours.

I agree with Dogbite, listen carefully and play with dynamics. If someone is singing, play softer and bring your volume down, nothing worse than a singer getting drowned out by overly aggressive guitar players. On the choruses you can pick it up some.

Hey, and if they say take a solo, just go for it. Do the best you can and do it with a smile.

Keep good time. Nothing is more important than keeping time.

All that said, RELAX and have FUN!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

well... i just got back.

The "open jam" was kinda disappointing. I would say that it's an open mic that you have to sign up for that singers and bands came and played at.

i might ask a friend or my guitar teacher if they want to go next time and have something planned out

On the bright side.... there were some brass bands there that I would have had no problem fitting in with if I had a tuba or trombone in my hands!

This made me want to perform ...so that's a good thing

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

at least you went. that is the hardest part sometimes.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

So dog I'm interested in how your jams get going. does someone call out a key or do they just start playing something and others just join in.

One of th eguys that I used to play with who is a drummer wanted us to do that but we never seemed to get it down the few times we tried.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

at the jams I go to we don't play covers...everything is made up. we respond to what is being played and allow it to go and take on life of its own.

I went to one of those style, and didn't enjoy it. After a while it was just riffs and noise. There were no defined songs, so there was little structure to work with. I don't mind a few jam tunes that are wide-open, but I prefer building variations on actual songs.

Too bad that ph0nage's jam wasn't as open as you hoped. Maybe next time.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Laz,

I have to agree with you that's why I asked dog. The few times we tried this it was good for like one long jam and after that it kind fell apart.

I think those kind of jams are better for the more accomplished players or at least players with a good ear and a good command of the fretboard.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm... that is not what I call an Open Mic. An Open Mic should be just that, open to everybody. I ran an Open Mic for 2 years at a club and it became very popular. We would pack the place and have as many as 20 musicians or more show up nearly every week. Some were very experienced players, some were not. The experienced players tend to think they own the place and could stay up there all night, so we used to tell everybody you get 4 songs then somebody else gets up. We tried to make sure everyone got the chance to play at least 3 or 4 songs no matter what their skill level.

And I agree, it's good to have some songs planned out. It is good to bring extra songsheets so others can play along with you as well. Those 12 bar Blues jams get old pretty quick. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

I must be missing out. "jam nights" are something i have never heard of around here. Dont get me wrong, i would love to go to one, there must be so much you could learn there. Are they widespread in America?
also, does anybody in the UK know of clubs near them that host these types of nights?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2