Opinions needed - PULEASE :)

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@graycee_grey)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all-

Happy Friday. Well, I am getting to the point of wanting to buy my first guitar (yes, sadly I have been renting for the past several months).

I understand that buying a guitar is a personal choice, but I was curious of your thoughts/opinions/comments.

The guitar I am really interested in is the Alvarez AF60S. I have attached a link of the guitar below. I sat down with the guitar a few months ago, and it felt really comfortable, especially on the fret board. Is there anything else I should consider when buying a guitar?

http://www.music123.com/Alvarez-AF60S-i126118.music?t=1

Again, please let me know what you think, and I, of course, welcome any other suggestions of guitars that you might think are best suited for a beginner!

Thanks! :D

"Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

The guitar I am really interested in is the Alvarez AF60S. I have attached a link of the guitar below. I sat down with the guitar a few months ago, and it felt really comfortable, especially on the fret board. Is there anything else I should consider when buying a guitar?We could paraphrase that Sixties saying "If it feels good, do it" to "If it feels good, play it." :lol:
A guitar's action is a big consideration, and while action can be adjusted, if something felt "right" to you when you first played it, that's a very Good Thingâ„¢. Fit and finish, sound, and how the manufacturer deals with any issues after the sale are also important points.
I read some reviews on that Alvarez, and it was rated 9.7 overall, by three owners. (It's right purty, too, looking at the pic in the link you posted.) 8)
I think you'll be happy with it, but that's just one reader's opinion.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Alvarez makes nice guitars. I own two, though neither is the one you're looking at. Check How to buy a guitar for some tips.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@clefairy)

Hi! I'm with you on the happy Friday -- hope no one's walking by my cubicle right now... :wink:

Anyway, I'm not too familiar with the guitar you're looking at, but I had to say that I do NOT recommend music123.com. My friend used the site when buying his first bass and had a lot of problems with them not shipping his guitar because it was out of stock, and it took them over a month (!) to respond to his calls and emails and finally refund his money. So yeah, you may not have any problems if the guitar you want is in stock, but we found out the hard way that the customer service for that site SUCKS.

so, yeah... end rant. :)

ReplyQuote
(@graycee_grey)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Wow - thanks, everyone, for your input! I appreciate it! :D

"Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I've never personally shopped at music123 but I read alot of the post of these forums and between Musicians Friend and Music123, Music123 seems to get more complaints about customer service. It was enough to make me not wanna buy from them.

I've had decent experiences at Musicians Friend, but obviously I think its better to buy locally if you can.

That guitar you are looking at sure is pretty. If it feels good, sounds good, and plays good. its probly pretty good.

Good luck with it

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

Feel is the most important thing with a guitar, for instance I was at a steel guitar show in Phoenix a few weeks ago and theres this 6 string player in the house band , Leon, This guy has a 58 jazzmaster that Leo Fender gave him personally, this guitar has been played so much that the frets dont exist anymore but he makes it sound amazing, and he likes it, and I could barely make it squak a chord when I tried it out. So if you can play it and make it sound like you want it, then buy it even if we say its the worst in the world, which its definitly not. hehe.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member

If I'm not too late, I would like to chime in. I dont here people talk much about Alvarez' but I think they are amazing guitars.
My first guitar was an Alv MD80 $600 Solid Top and Bot and comes with hardcase got it at christmas :D . I think its wonderful, sounds great, easy action comes with nice strings and am not dissapointed. If there was anything I wanted to change about it, that would have to be its color (spruce top a little bright for my tastes, but then again looks come last). I can highly recomend Alvarez from experiance and am sure there is no dought that the guitar your looking at is a good guitar.
I was actualy looking at the very same one but decided to pay the extra money for the MD80 w/ hardcase.

I highly suggest you try them out at your local guitar store if thats an option.

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

I have to second the opinion of Alvarez. I've got an AD70SE and love it. Great sound for the money, pretty and comfortable. Comparable with some much more expensive guitars.

If it feels good to you, if you like the sound, and if the price is right, go for it. What YOU like matters as you have to play it.

Take Care and above all enjoy yourself.

Narn

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote