Clear all

ouch!

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
bsmitts
(@bsmitts)
Topic starter  

I just recently bought my first electric guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul-100. I've played acoustics up until now, and always played sitting down. The electric sits much lower on my lap, so it doesn't feel right playing this way ( I have to curl my wrist too much). I have tried playing with a strap. I've discovered this option is perfect for my wrist because I can adjust the height as needed, however it quickly causes shoulder pain. Is there any way to prevent strap pain, or is this something I'll have to get use to?

imalone
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

Yes, Les Pauls are often heavy guitars.
Are you sitting down with the strap? I normally wear one both sitting and standing; sitting it can still help keep the guitar in a good position (whenever I've tried electric guitars in shops I've often found it harder to balance them without a strap).
Shoulder pain, is this on the surface (sore right under the strap) or deeper (e.g. back of the shoulder from strain)? If it's the first you can get broader or padded straps which could help. If it's the later then be careful, you don't want to damage yourself! But in all likelihood you will build up the muscles you're using, just take it slowly, stop if it's becoming sore and keep an eye out that it's not taking longer to go away or starting faster (ideally it should start taking longer to become sore).

ReplyQuote
bsmitts
(@bsmitts)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info on this. Really, it's right where the strap makes the most contact with the shoulder, but I'll probably look into getting this padded strap you speak of. I have heard tale that elastic straps are good for this, but that's just hear say. The weight, I'm guessing, is being distributed over a small area. That's the reason I didn't get a standard Les Paul. Although the tone of the standard is much deeper and well... just better in my opinion, the standard is much thicker and built more solid (more weight). Thanks though, this helps a lot!

ReplyQuote
dogbite
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote