Clear all

overdrive and distortion??

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@kramer824)
Topic starter  

whats the difference?
I'm looking to go with another pedal to compliment my boss metalzone, and I'm not sure which one to choose, distortion or overdrive...
what is your opinion?

(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

overdrive will lead to distortion - in my opinion, they are the same. pedal manufacturers come up with dozens of variations of the same thing to differentiate themselves from the competition. One distinction I could think of that overdrive is 'popular' in blues and rock, whereas (a high level of) distortion is used in metal.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

distortion is a generic term in electronics and communications that has developed a specialized meaning in electricguitarland, and esp where EFX pedals are concerned:

distortion in EFX ("distortion pedal") implies the fuzz, saturation, clipping and all of these somewhat related phenomena are completely created within the pedal itself. for example, if the distortion pedal drives a clean amplifier, the result is a larger, louder version of the distortion created within the pedal.

overdrive implies jacking up the guitar's signal level to a point that will cause the input stage of the amplifier to distort: "the amp is overdriven." an overdrive pedal can be a completely clean amplifier that adds no distortion of its own -- basically a low distortion signal booster, but combined with an amplifier -- even a clean amp -- the combo will result in a type of non-linearity (generically "distortion") we call overdrive. BTW, even some hot guitar pickups can overdrive an amp input with no extra help.

most overdrive pedals also include some ability to create internal distortion, and so are really a combo overdrive-distortion effect. also, many distortion pedals have enough output level capability to overdrive the amplifier input into some saturation.

why all the names and distinctions? because, fuzz, (input) overdrive, (pedal) distortion, amp out saturation all have distinctive sounds. some are harsh, some creamy smooth, some ragged break-up ... and many are a combination of several types, especially in high gain systems.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Good post by Greg (Gnease)

As to what you should get, I say go for a good overdrive pedal, you already have a high gain Metal distortion.

I probably will come off like an old geezer (I am), but a slightly overdriven amp sounds better than that high gain white noise anyway. Once you get used to playing with slight overdrive, you will never go back.

An overdrive pedal is designed to get you the natural overdrive of an over-pushed amp. That is the sound! :evil:

This is pushed amp sound, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcLA596zUwc

And you never see Angus Young using pedals, just a PUSHED amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bomv-6CJSfM

When you get your amp to overdrive, you will never go back to those pedals that sound like paper tearing. :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@axissupersport)
Eminent Member

I have 2 distortion pedals and a few months ago bought an overdrive pedal(Boss OD-3) I love the sound of the overdrive much more than the distortion pedals. Sometimes I also use the overdrive in front of the distortion for some added umph.

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

Good post by Greg (Gnease)

As to what you should get, I say go for a good overdrive pedal, you already have a high gain Metal distortion.

I probably will come off like an old geezer (I am), but a slightly overdriven amp sounds better than that high gain white noise anyway. Once you get used to playing with slight overdrive, you will never go back.

An overdrive pedal is designed to get you the natural overdrive of an over-pushed amp. That is the sound! :evil:

This is pushed amp sound, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcLA596zUwc

And you never see Angus Young using pedals, just a PUSHED amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bomv-6CJSfM

When you get your amp to overdrive, you will never go back to those pedals that sound like paper tearing. :roll:

Have to agree with Wes here; I had a Boss Blues Drive with my old Vox amp, but sold it once I heard how the amp sounded on its own cranked. I bought a Bad Monkey overdrive to pair with my Windsor Studio, but after finally getting a chance to play with volume, gain and the Power Soaker, the Monkey may be on the market as well :o

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

BmanCV-60

Yeah, if you can really crank an amp, that is the tone! But that is not always possible. I do use two overdrive pedals, a Behringer TO800 (Tubescreamer clone), and a Boss DS-1, but I usually keep the gain very low on both. I like to push the pre-amp section of the amp a little, thickens up the tone and you can really control the dynamics with pick attack. Play softly for clean tones, play harder and get breakup. I also like to control the amount of breakup with my guitar's volume as well. I usually have the volume around 50% to play rhythm. This also rolls off the highs and gives a thicker tone. Then for a solo I will turn up the guitar volume for more bite.

I dunno, I understand folks who like extreme distortion, at one time I used to love it myself. But the longer I've played the more I've come to love just very slight breakup, or the tone of a lower powered amp pushed. I love my Blues Jr, because to gig with it you have to push it a bit, it has a fantastic overdriven tone, no pedals needed. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

I'm going to walk the plank here, but I feel that its a question of where you are in life and music. Back in the 80's when metal riled you couldn't approach me with "mere" overdrive, even though the music I grew up with in the 70's was way more overdrive than extreme distortion. Fast forward to the present, and to me the music of the 70's and earlier sounds better than 80's and forward, so I try to channel the overdriven Marshall sound.

Wes' comment that you can't always crank the amp drove (no pun intended) me into the pedal market, but the amps where you can control the output are making things difficult in a good way for me. I have yet to hear my Windsor Studio fully unleashed, but at practice/bedroom levels I'm finding the Bad Monkey isn't needed. Like Wes said, by using the Gain control I can go from BTO/Thin Lizzy -ish to Sabbath. I haven't even played with the guitar controls yet (dimed), but to be fair I did install a high output SD pickup in the bridge position, jazz model for the neck.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think the folks who insist that the only decent sound from a tube amp is cranked output distortion are missing a lot of good stuff. I love a cranked amp sometimes, but it's often not practical. "Preamp" distortion can sound very good at lower levels. Amps have volume controls for a good reason. Insisting on maxing it and adding attenuators to make the volume bearable is just adding complication and expense. Many folks buy WAY too much amp power for their real needs.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

I think the folks who insist that the only decent sound from a tube amp is cranked output distortion are missing a lot of good stuff. I love a cranked amp sometimes, but it's often not practical. "Preamp" distortion can sound very good at lower levels. Amps have volume controls for a good reason. Insisting on maxing it and adding attenuators to make the volume bearable is just adding complication and expense. Many folks buy WAY too much amp power for their real needs.

I agree, so when you read forum posts or magazines that insist the "best" overdrive comes from the output stage and not the preamp area you start to feel inadequate despite what you know/feel/hear. I'm glad i took the advice of forum members and tried a tube amp before I bought one. The 30 watter I demoed was great fun but I'd be divorced and homeless if I had picked it up :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member

Good posts!

I also used to love the highly distorted sounds of metal in the 80's, not any more.

I am tempted to go buy a nice overdrive pedal and play with it. I have a Super Champ XD and enjoying it, would a overdrive pedal give me much that I don't already have? Currently I just pick an amp model which is overdriven and mess with the gain etc until i find what I am looking for. Sometimes it is too loud though evean at 2.

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

Good posts!

I also used to love the highly distorted sounds of metal in the 80's, not any more.

I am tempted to go buy a nice overdrive pedal and play with it. I have a Super Champ XD and enjoying it, would a overdrive pedal give me much that I don't already have? Currently I just pick an amp model which is overdriven and mess with the gain etc until i find what I am looking for. Sometimes it is too loud though evean at 2.
If 2 is too loud, a pedal could be your best friend :)

ReplyQuote