Notifications
Clear all

palm muting

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@damarae)
Topic starter  

this is probably the most basic question but what is palm muting? Cause i know i need it, i need to know what it is and how to use it

(@satch_da_man)
Trusted Member

Hey, I'm working on PM too. I use the "knife edge" of my picking hand to very lightly touch the strings near the bridge, while strumming. For me it works best on the base strings and with a good amount of gain.

It's harder to do than it seems though. I'm working on alternating muting and not muting power chords in rhythm.

SDM

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

A PM is where you lightly (thats LIGHTLY!) rest the side of your picking / strumming hand on the strings of the guitar, near the bridge (you'll have to have a little play with exactly where you need to put your hand to get the best effect) and then strum the strings**. Ususally, you'll only use the low E A and D strings for this, as the higher strings can be difficult to get a good sound out of. As you learn to use PM'ing, you can adjust the pressure you put on the strings with your picking hand to get a longer or shorter sound when PM'ing.

BTW, this works to best effect with an electric guitar and distortion / gain up a bit; it gives a muted. 'chugging' sound used very frequently in rock music. You can do it on an acoustic, but don't expect to get the same effect; it'll produce a much quicker, quieter sound.

Pete

**EDIT note; you'll have to strum by moving your fingers, not your hand, as your hand needs to stay on the strings near the bridge, and not move.

**EDIT no.2 - Its easier to do this with a pick than with your fingers!

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

light is right. actually I call it damping because I want some vibration. just a touch controls the amount. a full on mute will stop everything...and that has a use as well.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Palm muting is one of the most useful techniques any aspiring rock guitarist can learn. I know it was one of the very first things I learned. I usually rest the heel of my hand lightly on the bridge when I'm playing a song that requires muting....I don't use a pick, though, I'm just one of those people who prefers to strum with my fingers.

Like Dogbite said, light is right - the hardest thing to master is the pressure you need to exert, but you will find that there are many degrees of pressure all with their own sound - just experiment, and keep on experimenting.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote