Notifications
Clear all

Partial Chords

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@tonysals)
Topic starter  

Hi Guys! Thanks for having me. I love this site but I've only been playing for a year and I have a question that maybe I could get some help with. There is a guitarist on YouTube playing the partial chords to Arthur Anderson's remake of "You Better Move On" by The Rolling Stones. He's using a Gibson Firebird and is playing Keith Richards part over Brian Jones' acoustic chords. You can hear the song playing in the background. Could someone help me in deciphering the fingering he is using to play these partial chord "stabs"? It's not a long song and is very repetitious. I tried watching closely but can't figure out what notes he is playing or how many strings he is using. I would like to get this song down pat so at least I'll have 1 playable song under my belt. I think the song is in the key of E Major. Thank You very much.
Tony Sals

(@alangreen)

ok - Arthur Anderson were a dodgy firm of accountants back in the day - the song was originally by Arthur Alexander

Playing the Rolling Stones cover version on Youtube - you're right, it's in E - it's a standard three-chord trick and should be causing you no trouble.

Right - everybody knows Keith Richard tunes to an Open G and removes the 6th string. Some of his stabs are around the 9th fret which working up from G will simply give you a re-voiced E chord. Bear in mind that it might be a mimed performance

Over to you

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@tonysals)
Topic starter  

OMG. So sorry about the performer. Arthur Alexander-NOT Arthur Anderson. Well, anyway, Did anyone figure out what notes were being played for Keith Richards guitar part on You Better Move On? I appreciated your comment but honestly, I did not grasp what you were saying about my question. Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@tonysals)
Topic starter  

Also, I forgot to mention that watching the video of You Better Move On should remake by the Rolling Stones that I need to know WHAT notes are being played for Keith Richard's stabs. Can anyone help me?

ReplyQuote
(@tonysals)
Topic starter  

Again, Sorry for the confusion about my request but I'll try to make it simpler: What are the notes that are being played for Keith Richard's guitar part in "You Better Move On"? That is, the short stabs Keith is playing over Brian Jones' acoustic chords.
What are the notes of the partial chords being played. Thank You, again.

ReplyQuote
(@tonysals)
Topic starter  

Alan, Here is the video that I was referring to in regards to the partial chords.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kso85WvX57U

ok - Arthur Anderson were a dodgy firm of accountants back in the day - the song was originally by Arthur Alexander

Playing the Rolling Stones cover version on Youtube - you're right, it's in E - it's a standard three-chord trick and should be causing you no trouble.

Right - everybody knows Keith Richard tunes to an Open G and removes the 6th string. Some of his stabs are around the 9th fret which working up from G will simply give you a re-voiced E chord. Bear in mind that it might be a mimed performance

Over to you

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Oh, there is no confusion about your request. I'm gobsmacked that you haven't got this worked out; they are very basic chords just played on the top three strings. The E uses a D shape, the A and B use an E shape and Am7 uses an Em7 shape

Timing and chord

0:00 E
0:08 B
0:16 E
0:23 E7
0:24 A
0:27 Am7
0:30 E
0:31 B
0:34 E

And that is a fairly standard 12-bar blues structure. Repeat ad nauseam

The "notes" in an E chord are E, G# and B. E7 adds a D. Those in B are B, D# and F#. A uses A, C# and E. Am7 uses A, C, E and G - although I find it easier to just remember the shapes and where they go rather than faff around remembering all the construction (I have to do that in my classical guitar work)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote