Clear all

patience strumming pattern

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@maxamus)
Topic starter  

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone knows the strumming pattern for guns and roses patience its my first song and would love to learn it correctly. cheers

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hi Maximus, welcome to GN.

There were a couple of strumming suggestions for that song in this thread: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17584

It's a tricky one. Just remember that the song has a bunch of patterns. Learn it in pieces. Verse, chorus, outro, the bridge to the outro, etc.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@maxamus)
Topic starter  

Thanks for your reply,

I checked out the link you provited and it is very helpful.But there is something i dont understand it saids(strummin: it could be played with the folk-strum in the chorus (D, du, udu) and with the following pattern in the verses which lasts two measures, expressed in term of beats)
1: d
2: du
3: d
4: du
5: d:
6: du
7: u
8: du

so if the chorus is one measure do you strum (D,du,udu)as it saids and for the verse which is two measures the 1-8 pattern.
To me i thought it would be verse CGAD strum(D,du,udu) and the chorus (CGCEm) would be C 1,2 G 3,4 C5,5 Em7,8 if you get what im sayin, im a little confused.If you could explain it a little clearer that would help greatly. Cheers

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi mate

i wrote that post a couple of years ago so i'll try to explain myslelf better :-)!

first thing: chord changes every two measures in the verse, this means i.e. that you have to play the C chord for 8 beats and then change to G and play it 8 beats then play A and so on. In the chorus they change each measure except for the last D so i.e. you have to play the first C for 4 beats. The best way to learn to count the beats it to tap your foot regurarly with the beat

regarding the strummin pattern it varies a few times in the song: to start just play the same pattern throughout all the song. If you can play it a good pattern could be D/du/U/Du which lasts 4 beats. So in our example if you play the verse you have to play the pattern twice on C chord, then twice on G chord, twice on A chord and twice on D chord and then start it all again...
in the chorus play it once for each chord

hope it makes sense :-)!

cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

Just wanted to pop on this thread and say thanks for creating it. I checked out the link matteo provided.

I've been doing this guitar stuff for 4 weeks now (learning on my own), but have had a little break as I have a lot of work on the house to do. So, after a few days off from my boring back and forth between chords for change practice, I try this song out and I played it! The whole way through I played it, my first full song!

Since I already new most of the open chord shapes from my attempt at starting in 2005, I've been just running through chords back and forth since picking up the guitar again. G, C, and D are good, but changing to A is still slightly paused since the fingers are so close (I finger it xx213O). But that was really the only pause, when moving to A.

Actually, I was still pausing a lot before I took a few days break for the house (insulating) with all my chord changes. I sat down tonight and flew through the changes with C, G, D, and Em. Just a slight pause as I fit the fingers for A. I'm so happy! I'm even doing the different strum patterns for the different sections, which I was always only doing a single strum pattern when practicing the chords last week.

Thanks again for starting this thread, and to matteo for the thread in the easy song database. It sparked my interest and bumped me slightly to a higher level and has given me further inspiration to learn this awesome instrument. More practice to come so I can try to sing (horribly :shock: ) to it! :mrgreen:

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@maxamus)
Topic starter  

Hi Matteo

thanks for your reply your info is spot on and i can now strum this song the way it should be :D ,so again thank you.
cheers

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi mate

nice to hear it! don't be afraid to ask if you have any doubts regarding strumming. Also never lose faith because to strum is an ability that i takes a little time to develop but with some good excercises you could reach a good level in a few months.

cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote