Clear all

Pentatonic/Diatonic Scales

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

In Fretboard Logic, the author introduces pentatonic shapes C A G E D, and then builds them up into the diatonic scales. In the Skeptical Guitarist series, Bruce Emery jumps straight into the diatonic scales...

From the guitar teachers on the board, what's the way you've taught it in the past?

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I teach diatonic scales and only teach pentatonics if they're appropriate to the style that a student is learning. For example, if I was teaching a classical guitar student (especially a child) to pass an elementary grade 1 or 2 exam, I wouldn't even mention pentatonics.

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

I usually begin teaching scales when the student is ready. It is different for every one--Have one student who I have been teqachng for 5 years who is coming along in his soloing but does not really - care at the moment - to learn anything theory wise. He would prefer to just learn how to play. So I stopped teaching him theory when I started to see his eyes glaze over :P

I agree with fsource somewhat in that the different scales "types" really depend on the Genre and the student.

I prefer to teach the diatonic theory first because it also helps to learn chords and the realtionship to the specific key (theory wise).

Kind of like how the first scale most (not all) beginning instrumentalists learn is the C major. Weird but I that was the first one I learned in Grade shool on a recorder.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I teach both at roughly the same time... diatonic scales with reading, pentatonic scales to start improvising. In improvisation, I move from the pentatonic to the blues scale (introducing the concept of chromaticism with the passing tone), then to the major and minor scales.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I teach diatonic scales and only teach pentatonics if they're appropriate to the style that a student is learning. For example, if I was teaching a classical guitar student (especially a child) to pass an elementary grade 1 or 2 exam, I wouldn't even mention pentatonics.

Yep - Classical Guitar Grades don't touch pentatonics, but the Electric Guitar Grade 1 exam expects you to be able to play G Pentatonic Major and A Pentatonic Minor over two octaves, as well as a few others and plenty of other stuff.

The Electric Guitar Preliminary Grade expects you to be able to play E Blues and G Pentatonic Major over 1 octave as well as plenty of other stuff

And yes, I've got the Bass Guitar syllabus on my desk too, in case anyone's interested, and Preliminary Grade for that requires you to be able to play one octave of G Major and A and E Natural Minor, as well as other stuff.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote