Clear all

Pentatonic Scale Q...Box 1 and 2

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mwilliams)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi folks! Quick question for the experienced...I've got minor pentatonic scale (box 1 and 2) pretty solid on their own and now want to start to play over both. To practice this, would you walk up and down say box 1...then jump on over to the 2nd box or would you play both together (i.e. play across all notes on low E, then A etc.). Basically...should both boxes now be treated like one bigger box?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

mwilliams,

After playing a couple of years and still not having mastered all of my scale shapes I really think it's not about shapes at all, it's really about knowing the notes in a scale and knowing the fretboard.

The scale shapes are just a way of visualising the sclae in different places on the fretboard, they all overlap.

At some point (at least I beleive it) you won't think in terms of scale shapes you'll just know what notes fit the key you are playing in.

When you get to that point then you will really have a grip on the fretboard.

That's my opinion anyway and I'm not even close, so for now I just practice my scale patterns like everyone else.

As for your question yeas as you feel comfortable with the patterns you can start combining them together.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@mwilliams)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

cnev...thank you! Anyone else?

Thanks,

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

My teacher has me doing it both ways you describe; up and down, back and forth. And lots of jumping around, inside out. I don't think there's a "right" or "wrong" way to do it. I focus on the root notes within each pattern and play the rest from there; it seems to be a help in learning both the scales and the fretboard. However, it's a slow process getting it all down.

:)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

what can really help is to take one string and play it along, not using any other strings. Try to stay in the pentatonic key you choose. even try to think about the notes and/or intervals you're playing at the moment. you will get a completely different picture of it.
Besides that, playing along one string at least to me sounds more like a melody than just noodling around one pattern.
Of course it all depends.

That beeing said I should take my own advice and get going... :oops:

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

mwilliams

That is a great question. Learning the "boxes" can be helpful and confusing at the same time.

Probably the greatest advantage to each box position is that it allows you to play the Pentatonic scale in one position on the guitar without moving your hand.

But as you gain experience you will want to move from one position to another to reach higher or lower notes, or the same notes with a different tone.

And you will also find that certain methods of moving through the boxes are popular, mainly because they are easy to play.

Here is the A Minor Pentatonic Positions 1, 2, and 5 and the traditional fingerings from low to high.

A Minor Pentatonic Position 1

e---------------------------------------5i--8p-
b-------------------------------5i--8p---------
g-----------------------5i--7r-----------------
d----------------5i--7r------------------------
a---------5i--7r-------------------------------
e-5i--8p---------------------------------------

A Minor Pentatonic Position 2

e---------------------------------------------8m--10p-
b------------------------------------8m--10p----------
g----------------------------7i--9r-------------------
d-------------------7i--10p---------------------------
a----------7i--10p------------------------------------
e-8m--10p---------------------------------------------

A Minor Pentatonic Position 5

e-------------------------------------3m--5p-
b-----------------------------3m--5p---------
g---------------------2i--5p-----------------
d-------------2i--5p-------------------------
a-----3m--5p---------------------------------
e-5p-----------------------------------------

All of these scales should be practiced using the fingerings shown. However, in reality, most players find Positions 2 and 5 far more difficult than Position 1. I think most players find it is easier to play with the index and ring finger than the middle and pinky.

One of the secrets of guitar is making playing as easy as possible. So, through experience, most advanced players have learned how to climb through these 3 positions in a very physically easy way.

And here it is.

A Minor Pentatonic combining Positions 5, 1, and 2

e------------------------------------------------8i--10r-
b---------------------------------------8i--10r----------
g--------------------------5i--7m/--9m-------------------
d------------------5i--7r--------------------------------
a-----3i--5r/--7r----------------------------------------
e-5r-----------------------------------------------------

OK, with this you start with Position 5, then slide into Position 1. Then, from Position 1 you slide into Position 2. This is a very common and easy way to play this scale. You should also play it backwards from high to low in the same order using the same fingerings.

So, I am not telling you not to practice the traditional boxes with the more difficult fingerings. To be a master quitarist, you must be able to play with all fingers equally well. But, at the same time, most guitarists have found easy ways to move from one box scale to another.

Practice all box positions as taught, but constantly experiment with different ways to move from one to another, depending on the mood you want.

Hope this has helped.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mwilliams)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Now that's better! Thanks folks (Wes...very well spoken!)...I'll get practicing after I see Hot Tuna (acoustic and electric) tonight :D

ReplyQuote