Clear all

pick holding technique

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@blacknbluedog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I recently found out from articles/pictures on the net that I have been holding my pick incorrectly. I pinch it between my thumb and index finger tips. Trouble is I have been playing like this since I was a kid. I havent played for 20 something years and have recently picked up my guitar again. My level of playing is beginner but I have spent quite some time playing when I was younger. My question is should I try to change to the proper way or not? I have tried holding it the proper way and it feels real awkward.
Thanks
Brian

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

edit: Welcome to GN!

Strictly speaking there are no right way of holding it. What works for you works - but there are ways more common than others. Take a look at this article -good one:
http://www.tuckandpatti.com/pick-finger_tech.html

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@blacknbluedog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply.
Brian

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I havent played for 20 something years and have recently picked up my guitar again. My level of playing is beginner but I have spent quite some time playing when I was younger.

Funny how that works. Me too, put it down for 12 years, had to start all over.

Oh, and hold the pick the way you want to, What ever works for you.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Oh, and hold the pick the way you want to, What ever works for you.
I hold it all wrong. I'm glad it's OK to be wrong.

I feel like I did when I saw famous guitarists planting their pinkie on the guitar body.........relieved it's OK to NOT have proper posture & chit.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

One of my favorite guitarists is Dan Crary. He holds the pick with his thumb, index and middle fingers. I've read that this is not a good way to hold the pick, but I haven't got the heart to tell Mr. Crary he's doing it all wrong. If it's comfortable and it works don't fix it.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I feel like I did when I saw famous guitarists planting their pinkie on the guitar body.

LOL, I do that too, well on the high E string. Playing styles change as you change. I used to play only in classical playing position, I still think its more comfortable and faster to fret notes that way.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Well - I would like to add, there is no right way neccesarily, but most of us not being George Benson, it can be effective to review our technique at an early stage. I had been playing mainly accoustic for some 15 years when I started out on electric a few years back - I didn't feel comfortable playing electric and had large problems with speed and accuracy (well I still do :roll: ) I found among others, the article I posted above here, and I realised I had to do something. For me the thing was to move the hand closer to the strings with the pick deeper in between my fingers. That made it possible to use shorter, stiffer pick and my speed and accuracy eventually improved enormously - from disastrous to mildly catastrophical :lol:

Point is - it can be that holding the pick between the pinky of your left hand and the middle finger on your right hand places an unecessary constraint on your technical development. If not - fine, but it is worthwhile to think about it
lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@blacknbluedog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the info. I just wish I played and practiced more when I was a kid. I have a much harder time coordinating my left and right hand now. I can really feel that what comes easily in your youth takes much more effort as an old fart. :D And I understand that some skills ( riding a bike) can be impossible to learn as an adult.
Thanks
Brian

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

It wouldn't have been easy in your youth, either.

As a no longer young but not yet old fart, I find that I'm a lot more patient and disciplined than 20 years ago, the first time I had a shot at guitar. I wouldn't say easy is ever a word we'll use to describe it, but patience, discipline, and a willingness to keep doing things no matter how I feel (sometimes I feel like I suck, and will never get good) is putting me on a much better learning curve than then.

Best.
ande

ReplyQuote