Clear all

Pick or fingers

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

In the song "Be Like That" by 3 doors down in the start there is a long section that suits fingerpicking. But a little later it goes to a section with some strumming that suits a pick ( because of the pick slapping sound on the muting ). Is it normal to use a pick to get through the beggining or is there a way to get the same sound on the strumming with my fingers?

I can look back with a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

In the song "Be Like That" by 3 doors down in the start there is a long section that suits fingerpicking. But a little later it goes to a section with some strumming that suits a pick ( because of the pick slapping sound on the muting ). Is it normal to use a pick to get through the beggining or is there a way to get the same sound on the strumming with my fingers?

When I have to go from fingerpicking to flatpicking in one song I keep my pick tucked up under my bent pinkie, fingerpick with PIMA, then slide the pick to my thumb, grab it with my index finger and start flatpicking. It takes a little bit of practice before you stop dropping the pick, but it works for me!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

You might be able to use a thumb pick...

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Ive tried to go from a pick to fingerpicking in the midst of a song and found it quite hard to do without losing the timing.

You will never sound exactly like a pick using your fingers/thumb or nails although you can be close.

I determine which is the best method for me depending on the song and if I choose to fingerpick the song, I will use either my thumb or index fingernail for strumming (depending which is better suited).

For me, if there is any pinching of strings or if the picking pattern is complex or very fast I use my fingers, with practice I find that I can pick a song with little or no concentration on the picking hand, where as with a pick moving very fast I still need to focus.

Wherever you will go / the calling is a good example for me. I could play it with a pick and actually somtimes I do, but when I use my fingers it takes almost no concentration and it makes it easier to sing at least for me. Although it hasn't helped my singing any!

Anyway good luck

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

This is why they invented hybrid picking!

Well, not really, but it is an option. Hold the pick with your thumb and first finger and use it to hit your lower strings, while you stretch out your other 3 fingers and use them to pick the other strings.

Of course, this lead to an easy switch to strumming since you're already holding the pick in the right place.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@matthew)
Trusted Member

My guitar teacher says he feels naked without his pick, and always does this "Hybrid Picking". You bring the pinky into play for the highest string when you do it, as you loose a finger to the pick gripping. It's amazing how much he can get a pick to sound like a finger though. *Still baffled*

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My brother inlaw uses a thumb pick always.
I prefer to use my fingers.
Others like to Hydrid pick.
My point is you should choose a style you want to perfect and practice an awefull lot.
Accomplished fingerpickers can achieve the sound of a flat pick when needed. Period.

ReplyQuote